The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
you could use the light diffusers sold at lighting shops or home depot, the white plastic grids they use for office lighting etc. just cut it to fit into the rim of your tank.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you could use the light diffusers sold at lighting shops or home depot, the white plastic grids they use for office lighting etc. just cut it to fit into the rim of your tank.
I read about them on the reef forums and the mesh tops are supposed to let more light in and keep the fish in the tank better than the eggcrate you are referring to.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
as usual, they show you what they did,
just not where they got the materials :angryfire
Yeah, people keep asking him where he got it in the thread and he keeps saying that he has extra to sell, haha. I would search on ReefCentral but you pretty much have to pay or search at 3am to get access to the search engine.

·
Registered
247 Posts
haha it looks like regular gardening mesh to me look in your gardening area at homedepot or lowes to find it. then just attach it to a wooden/metal frame.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
try going to the fabric section of walmart or even a fabric store? looks like mesh inserted into a metal window screen frame.

·
Registered
862 Posts

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
I found an industrial net supply source that can sell me 500 square feet of this 1/2" clear stuff for around .20¢ per square foot including shipping to me. It's primarily marketed to major Aquaculture distributors down in Florida. I could then cut it up and resell it to you guys for my square foot cost, then add for first class or priority shipping costs. So if anyone is SURE they want this stuff, post something on this thread indicating how many square feet, or the measurements of the piece you want, and MAYBE I'll pursue this... or if you DEFINATELY want to take over the roll of buyer and redistributer, and have Paypal, then post that ambition here. Please don't fill up my mail box with PM's, use this thread to share your interest. I could get a 1/4" version of this net instead, but that size lacks a UV stabilizer in the plastic, and without it, the plastic may become yellow and brittle over time under your tank lights. MH lighting would only accelerate the process. It would also be way too expensive to stock two 500sq/ft purchases unless I charged everyone .50¢ per square foot.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Did anyone ever end up using any of these sources? I just stumbled across this thread and want to build a similar top for my tank...just seeing if anyone had any reviews of those suppliers and the ease of building the top.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts