The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to prevent my fish from jumping out of the filter holes on top of my tank. Can someone suggest a method of covering up the top 2 filter holes of my 100g acrylic tank? I will be cutting the mesh canvas around the filter intake and out flow tubes but I am not sure how to make the mesh canvas stay put without using glue, which I do not want.

OR is there an easier/better way of doing this?

BTW, I have canister filters and not HOBs.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I use the plastic canvas on my 75 gal acrylic tank and it just lays over the holes I want covered . I lost a couple Platys to jumping before I put it on and none since .

·
Registered
513 Posts
Just thinking out loud. Cut Fish net or scrub wire mesh and wrap around, ugly looking but easy to maintain. Never seen someone do that.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe something with zip ties?

i made little legs to keep my plastic mesh from falling off my HOB overflow

Do you have a picture?

Bump:
I use the plastic canvas on my 75 gal acrylic tank and it just lays over the holes I want covered . I lost a couple Platys to jumping before I put it on and none since .

I have adult Peacocks and Haps. They are a little bigger than platys. Do you think it will still work?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Do you have a picture?

Bump:

I have adult Peacocks and Haps. They are a little bigger than platys. Do you think it will still work?
I think a combo of the canvas and some cable ties will do it . If a fish gets enough of a run it could dislodge the canvas and get out . Mine work as is but I had thought of the cable ties if needed .

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
For quick and easy "stoppers" for extra holes, I've used sponge. It is always on hand and easy to cut and shape to most any hole. For holes like through the thin plastic at the back, I use something like 3/4-1 inch thick sponge and cut a ring around the outside. This ring slips over the plastic and I squeeze it into the hole where it expands to conform to the edges.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts