The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being a rather new member to this forum, I wasn't aware that some members here have made significant discoveries for this aquatic hobby/trade/profession we are all in.

I just wanted to make this thread to shed more light/praise on those figures and find out who more of them are.

From my short time being here, I have found out who some of these great people are.

I am just going off of memory here so please feel free to comment and give specific/correct "titles" of what these figures have invented or discovered.

@plantbrain (Tom Barr) - developed the EI (Estimative Index) fertilizer dosing regime - along with, discovered truths and debunked myths of nutrients (can't remember exactly what)
@mistergreen - developed the pH drop KH/PH chart to determine dissolved co2 ppm levels
@Tinanti - single handedly created the largest online aquatic plant database - plant ID expert right here :)
@Rex Griggs - invented the 'Rex Griggs' reactor

-If any of the above are incorrect, let me know and I will fix them.

Very sorry @Hoppy @Zapins I know you have also made a significant discovery(ies) for the hobby, but can't quite put my finger on exactly what they were and I didn't want to list them wrong. Sorry if I completely left someone out, for some reason I always create threads when I'm sleepy.

Please don't be so modest, if tons of people are following along/using your discovery/invention, you have indeed made a huge contribution to the hobby/trade and deserve to be recognized.

Besides praise, I do want to find out who are the experts so I can pick their brains if I have any particularly pondering questions that I would like an experts advice on.

Thank you all! :smile2:

As for the comments on this thread, please just keep them to mentioning these great contributors and their discoveries/inventions to shine more light on them (I am sure there are plenty I and many others have not been aware of). Add to the list by commenting below! (this is more so of members of this forum, whether still active or not. not just every aquarium figure around the world)

If you have any personal disagreement with their discoveries/inventions, please refrain from posting those types of comments on this thread. You can dispute those on another thread or just keep it under wraps.

Thanks!

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
If one of us has made significant contributions many others will know about it. If any of our contributions is not known widely it must not be that significant. 0:)

A significant contribution isn't necessarily considered to be "correct" by many of us. I believe Edward has made a very significant contribution with the PPS dosing system. I believe Diana has also made a very significant contribution with her detailed, well explained methods for cycling a tank.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
wet also contributed greatly with his calc.petaphile program for figuring out fertilizers. Where would we be if we never had that program? And others who have made similar calculators.

tinanti's database is here Plant Finder - Encyclopedia of Aquarium Plants
Ah, I never knew who made that database. It's a good one.

Yeah, Wet was the man. I at the time was going to make one but found out wet made one already and he gave me his data on ferts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts