The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been overdosing with excel to help get rid of my algae problem. Now my vals are starting to melt.I stopped dosing and pulled most of the dead leaves out. I tested ammonia and it's @ .25ppm. I did a 25% water change. Nitrates and nitrites are 0ppm. The test kit is kinda vague the aquarium pharm test kit reads .25ppm and the Tetra one reads 0ppm. Do you think I should pull all the vals out? or any suggestions on what to do besides doing water changes?:icon_ques

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Excel will melt riccia, vals, fissidens...and probably some other stuff I can't remember....not always, but these species are especially sensitive to it.

Oh! Anacharis too.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you guys think I should pull the rest out? Will it keep dying? or will it bounce back?

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
your water params look suspicious..
in an established tank... ammonia, nitrite should be 0ppm.. while nitrate can range 5-20ppm

it's not the cause of your melting plant but is probably the reason for your algae.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did another test today and a water change my ammonia is zero now,and so is everything else. I will buy another test kit tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Excel is only available in the tank for 24hrs before it is biologically consumed. If You are going to quit dosing excel then I would leave the plants in--the damage is done. If you are going to keep overdosing excel--then I would remove them.

Add anacharis to the melting plants above....

HTH

·
Registered
17 Posts
Im new to this and probably the last to be giving advice, but I think I just turned the corner on this same problem. My brand-new vals were taking off like crazy but I then had a huge beard algae outbreak and then the vals shut down and turned brown. I did a WC and started a 3x dosing Excel regiment to kill the algae on 4/1. I chopped the Vals down to near stumps because they were saturated with algae and ugly.

During the Excel treatment, I tested my nitrates and they were zero also... which I tought was good until I read enough Tom Barr posts. I ran to Home Depot and bought Grants Stump Remover ( KN03 ) and dosed my nitrates up to 20ppm with 2 teaspoons 4 days ago. I have already noticed my vals are starting to sprout back nice green shoots, and the runners are coming back to life, which they have not done in about 3 weeks. Spot treatmets burned up whatever leaves I treated, but it took the algae with it. The overdosing is not affecting my riccia at all. My anacharis is deep green and growing about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch a day ... maybe my plants are all mutants.

I believe once I got the nitrates in order the vals improved but I'll have to check back in a few more weeks. :) I used the API kit from Petsmart and also the little 6-test plastic strips, they appear to have consistent 20ppm results on the nitrate test that the dosing predicted I should have.

I have a 110g tank and putting in 35 ml Excel a day.... Florish and K 2x a week. Probably will stop over-dosing this weekend since all the algae is white and dead:thumbsup: and I'm going through almost a bottle a week.

I'm very interested my situation is similar to yours... good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts