The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently trimmed my corymbosa and replanted the off shoots. I removed the old stems. Almost all of the stems have melted from the substrate up. All of my levels are fine, nothing has changed. What is this a symptom of? Ive lost almost all of them now. They were doing great before I cut them.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
That tends to be a problem with a lot of stem plants. I would try trimming off the melted part and leave them floating until they grow roots, then plant them to see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That tends to be a problem with a lot of stem plants. I would try trimming off the melted part and leave them floating until they grow roots, then plant them to see if that makes a difference.
I have tried floating them, but I end up with a bare stem before I get roots growing, then it just melts. My stargrass transplants just fine when I cut it the same way. Is it just something that the hygro's specifically do? Is there a better way to trim them so it doesn't melt. The tank was looking great, and now not so much since half the plant mass is now gone.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I haven't had much experience with stem plants. I had elodia with this problem and it ended up dying on me so I tossed it and haven't had any since. I do know that I use sand and that apparently was too dense for the appropriate amount of oxygen flow from the tank water to the roots.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts