The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago, I started noticing that my huge bunch of R. rotundifola was starting to rot/melt from the bottom of the stem up to about the middle. After another week and a half, nearly all of the 40+ stems were rotty mush.

I tore them all out but now see the same thing happening to my L. repens...could this be a nutrient issue? I'll admit that my fertilizing has been less than stellar but, I've just added pressurized Co2 a few days ago and plan on becoming a little more disciplined on ferts.

This is a 58g tank which, at the time, had about 2 wpg. I have recently upgraded to 3.3 wpg, though I would not expect lighting to be an issue for either of those plants. I was just surprised that my extremely hardy stem plants are falling to pieces when everything else seems to be doing fine.

Anyone else had this happen?

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
what nutrients are missing when this happens?
i have 2 drawf lilly bulbs. one is doing ok... the other one isn't doing so great... the young leaves first deteriorate in patches and then the stem melts..

nitrate 10ppm, phospate 2.0ppm, co2 9ppm, iron & micros 2xweek. 2.5wpg
i don't dose K.. will start when my ferts arrive.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will have to see if things improve with a regular dosing of ferts. Is there a possibility that I planted the stems too closely together? I was really trying to go for that bushy look with both plants and may have lost the lower halves from lack of light. Tazcrash, does this sound more like a fert issue to you than anything else or are there any other factors I should consider?

mistergreen: What ferts are you planning on dosing?

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
what nutrients are missing when this happens?
i have 2 drawf lilly bulbs. one is doing ok... the other one isn't doing so great... the young leaves first deteriorate in patches and then the stem melts..

nitrate 10ppm, phospate 2.0ppm, co2 9ppm, iron & micros 2xweek. 2.5wpg
i don't dose K.. will start when my ferts arrive.
Is your wpg 2.5, or 3.5?

With the higher (3.5 wpg) over a 58g, you'll need considerably more co2...typically the majority of us shoot for 30 ppm. Your N:p ratio is fine...try following the EI dosing sticky in the "water parameters" forum...that will definitely give your plants a boost.

Also, how is your biomass (relative density of plants in your tank)? Is it crammed with plants or do you just have a few here and there?

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Georgiadawgger, not sure if the above post was for me or mistergreen but, I have the 58g and just got pressurized CO2 going a few days ago. All of my melting stem problems occured before I added the CO2 so, I don't know if this will improve it or if there were other issues.

Any idea if planting the stems too closely together can result in this type of rot? And to answer your other question, this tank is pretty crammed with plants. I don't have much room left :)

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
30 ppm is not too much for the fish. I used 40 ppm for awhile, and it was marginal, so I'm back down towards 30 again. You have to use a drop checker, carefully, to really know how much CO2 you do have. I'm ready to settle on 30 ppm as the ideal amount, about the maximum you can run and not have to keep checking the fish to be sure it isn't too much.

At 3.3 watts per gallon I don't think Excel is adequate. But, for lower light intensity, like 2 watts per gallon, it should be good enough.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
30+ ppm co2 is not bad for the fish...I've run close to 50-60 ppm with no ill effects on all the fish I've had with planted tanks...they breed regularly, the fry don't have 5 eyes and 50 fins. Hoppy's drop checker idea is a good one to keep an eye on adequate co2 levels...I highly recommend a good cheap one like the Red Sea.

I got a bit confused since your thread got hijacked? 3+ wpg is going to need an adequate balance of co2, macro and micro ferts. Its a good thing the tank is crammed with plants...this gives you more wiggle room.

Yes, space out the stems a bit. There are several ways to do this: you can plant each individual stem about 1 inch to 1/2 inch apart or you can use lead weights and bundle 2 or 3 stems together, with each mini-bunch spaced adequately apart. The key is that light can reach the lower leaves.

The addition of co2 will help considerably, as well as feeding the plants what they need. You'll be fine!

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Georgiadawgger, I'm going to give the R. rotundifola another try and use your spaced method of planting the stems. Before they rotted, it was a nice full group of stems and I miss that look in the tank. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I've had the same thing happen to L. repens and I was dosing daily, had pressurized Co2 and 5.5wpg of PCs. It was in fluorite though, so I'm not sure if any conclusions can be drawn from that.

·
Registered
466 Posts
In addition, I would also guess by your description of how full your tank is, that the lower stems might not be getting enough light.

I second that, I have the same plants you do and they started rotting. What happened was all the leaves were keeping the bottom stems from light and they started rotting. also make sure you dose Iron. without iron the plants don't take up the macros like they should. For awhile I was dosing the EI method for my macros but not adding Iron and my plants didn't do to well. I started dosing Iron everyother day and plants are growing wonderful and I don't have as much problem with rotting of the stem.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone for the advice! :icon_smil I finally topped the stems, starting fresh from the part of the stem that was still lush and replanted them about an inch apart. I'm hoping this does the trick. Sun, I'll give dosing Iron a try too. It's something I've neglected in my dosing. Hopefully I won't lose what's left of my L. repens!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks everyone for the advice! :icon_smil I finally topped the stems, starting fresh from the part of the stem that was still lush and replanted them about an inch apart. I'm hoping this does the trick. Sun, I'll give dosing Iron a try too. It's something I've neglected in my dosing. Hopefully I won't lose what's left of my L. repens!
So, how did this turn out for you ?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts