The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently set up a little tank (actually a two gallon fish bowl) that I want as a low tech tank. I have miracle grow organic as the substrate (mixed with the substrate from the lake which is pretty sandy), covered by aquarium gravel and planted with a couple plants from a lake near my home. I dont have any CO2 setup. But every time I tried putting those plants in, they stay alright for a day or two and then start melting.

Could anyone please help me?

I disinfect my plants by soaking them in 2 gallons water with two table spoons of bleach and then change the water a couple times to rinse off any left over bleach before putting them in the bowl.. What am I doing wrong, or is it something with the way I am disinfecting them, or problem with the substrate...Any and all suggestions, comments welcome.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
It's difficult to give an answer without knowing how you light the bowl and what kind of plants they are.

If you aren't trying to keep fish in the bowl then I wouldn't bother "disinfecting". That could then be eliminated as any possible cause.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I didnt mention that earlier. The bowl gets natural sunlight from the window, may be 6 hrs of direct sunlight and 2-3 hrs of indirect.

I have tried Vals, Cadomba, Ceratophyllum, and Ludwigia. Only the Ludwigia survived. I want to have guppies at a later stage, so that was the reason I wanted to disinfect the plants.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!

Do you suppose using Flourish Excel twice or three times a week (used according to the ratio suggested, of course) until the plants take hold and decreasing dose after that, will suffice? Or should I feed them something else too?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I will get an air stone and comprehensive asap. I just put a lamp (a common desk goose neck lamp) over the bowl. So that might help a bit too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.