The Planted Tank Forum banner

Melting Limnophila aromatica

5626 13
So, when I rescaped the tank this week I put my newly arrived Limnophila aromatica in and now it's mostly looking a bit transparent . . . does this plant melt the way crypts do when transplanted, or is it actually dying?

I don't run CO2, but I do dose with Excell and Flourish. It’s in a 20L, so tank isn’t super deep, and the light is a Coralife Aqualight T5 Dual Lamp Fixture (on for 12 hours a day).

Is there something I should be doing to help it, is it a lost cause, or will it recover like a crypt?
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Yeah I bought 10 stems of this to put in my high tech 29g, all but 3 of the stems completely melted and were dead in 2 weeks, the last 3 are hanging on with all their leaves and new green growth at the very top but man does this plant not wanna grow, it doesn't look to hot and hasn't grown more then a few mm's since I got it.

Got root tabs underneath them and dosing the flourish line + good co2 under 96w of T5HO, it's the only plant not growing like a weed lol I don't quite understand what the problem is, I'm starting to think it wants very soft water, but haven't been able to confirm anything.. :/

·
Plant Clown
4,737 Posts
Some info:
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...ails.php?id=98&category=genus&spec=Limnophila

Included in the link is the statement: "Light is the most important aspect of successful culture with L. aromatica, though its nutrient and carbon needs should not be underestimated. CO2 supplementation is all but necessary, as is frequent fertilization with nitrate, phosphate, and micronutrients. Iron is especially important for good coloration and growth."

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
It is a cool looking plant, beautiful, in fact. But, when it is growing well it needs pruning and replanting as often as twice a week. That tends to dampen my enthusiasm for it.
You're giving me flashbacks now lol.

This plant was one of many that I collected durring my collectoritis stage and I'd have to rescape my tank, every other week just so it would't look so overgrown. I've gotten so confortable with my slow growing plants I forgot about how much trimming was involved in keeping those stemmies. :eek:

It is indeed beautiful tho.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Mine were melting from a lack of light. Seemed like the only thing that would work was daily Flourish Excel and a T5HO (108w in 75g). After that they grew like weeds and I just got sick of pruning them, so I tossed them out. Beautiful plant if you go with a very high light since they turn a reddish purple that way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.