The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started this year with aquariums. It's been going well until recently. Background on the tank: 10gal with 30watts of light on a timer for 7.5 hours. Temp runs 78-83 degrees. Aquaclear 3-stage filter with carbon. Clay based substrate fertilized with flourish tabs by seacham. Anubis, java fern, lutea are planted in the tank. 30% water change done every week. Currently housing one female betta and 2 otocinclus.
During Sept, my husband and I noticed a sudden burst of green algae growth starting on the leaves of the plants in both our 20 and 10 gal tanks. After a few weeks we went in to our local aquarium store and told to use Flourish excel regular dose every 3-4 days. It worked for about a month and we saw a remarkable reduction in algae. Then, the plants started looking as though they were being "burned." We figured it was the flourish excel and only started putting it in the tank after our weekly H2O change. After another few weeks, I started doing half-doses in the tanks after water changes, however, the algae started to return with a vengeance. (I need to note that every time we've taken water in to be tested that it's been within excellent parameters. We've also been experiencing and increase in snails so I feed sparingly every 2-3 days.) Then I started back to full dose of flourish excel during the water change and our anubis had an almost complete meltdown by the second post-dose day. The anubis had been doing beautifully and all the leaves were healthy. Not sure what to do about this mess. Any comments or suggestions? Can I do anything to help the anubis which now has only 5 leaves come back? What can I do about the raging algae explosion? Thanks!

·
Registered
70 Posts
change 200-300% of ur water...then cut all the melted leaves, leave the rhizome alone...just be patient, it'll grow back with a routine WC and ferts..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The directions on the bottle say 1 capful/5ml for every 10gal after a major water change. Thereafter use 1 capful for every 50gal daily or every other day. I was dosing 5ml after the weekly water change and then 1ml after 3-4 days although I have since only been dosing after the water change. Just lost some more leaves on the anubis today and another plant (a sword of some type I believe) just started rotting from the stem up. Our betta in the tank also came down with a case of dropsy and looks like she's on her way out. We've still got 2 otocinclus in the tank. Not sure what to do. What is wrong with this tank?!?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Just wondering you said anubias is planted did you plant the rhizome in the substrate? Because if you did it could be the cause of the melting anubias...

It can't be excel when I had an algae outbreak I dosed double the recomended dose every other day and it didn't harm any of my plants...

·
Registered
791 Posts
If you are going to dose Excel as a carbon source, do it on a regular basis as directed. Otherwise the plants are getting in on an inconsistant basis.

I'm not sure what's going wrong in your tank. If no one can come up with a possible explanation, maybe you should stop your Excel dosing. It could be a bad batch, although I've never heard of that happening.

BTW, 30W on a 10g may be a bit much without injected CO2. What type of lighting do you have? Can you reduce it for a while until the algae is under control?

·
Registered
696 Posts
I have syringes with increments in ML's, I dose 3mL per day on my 29 gallon. You could dose 1mL accurately this way. Just a thought...

·
Registered
885 Posts
Just wondering you said anubias is planted did you plant the rhizome in the substrate? Because if you did it could be the cause of the melting anubias...

It can't be excel when I had an algae outbreak I dosed double the recomended dose every other day and it didn't harm any of my plants...

^ what i would suspect

1 - 8 of 8 Posts