The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am quite a beginner at this so please be gentle :help:.

My melon sword and wisteria is not doing to good please see attached pictures. New growth is very nice on both but older leaves are turning brown on the sword, browning and cupping on the wisteria.

It is a 90 gallon tank about 3 months old. Substrate is mineralized top soil with a color quartz cover. Water is 75 deg, pH 7.8, KH 5, GH 6, No CO2 yet (I am putting the pressurized CO2 together right now). I have been dosing NPK and CSM+B according to PPS Pro calculations for about a month now. Currently test shows that NO3 is at 10 ppm, phospates are 0.5. I also dose normal dosages of Flourish Excel daily. I have 2x54w T5HO bulbs providing the light for 9 hours per day. Fish load: 22 white clouds, 4 zebra danios, 4 otos. There are some algae in the tank so far I chalked that up too the lack of pressurized CO2. Is it the lack of CO2 that is causing this?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
You haven't had that Sword in the tank very long, have you? It looks like it's just converting from emersed growth to submersed. All the old leaves will die off as new submersed leaves grow in. Nothing to worry about ;)

The Wisteria leaves look like they are just suffering from lack of light. Are they lower on the stem? They might just be shaded and are dying off a bit, which is normal. Once you get the CO2 up and running, that Wisteria will grow like crazy ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The sword has been in there for about 50 days. You might be right about the wisteria as it is mostly the leaves that are shaded by leaves above them that cup and brown. Should I get more light? I got 2 x 54W T5HOs now.

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
Your lighting should be fine. It's normal for the bottom leaves on stem plants to wither up a bit as the get shaded by new growth.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The same thing happens to the bottommost leaves on my wisteria. I just pick them off and the plant seems to be fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts