The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two questions.

1. Is it safe to use Melafix & Pimafix in an established tank?
2. Do they prevent diseases? Or, do they only cure sick fish?

The reason why I'm asking is I suspect that something's going on with one or two fish in my tank, but I'm not 100% sure.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I use both when treating my fish but I pull my fish out that are sick and treat them in a 10 gal hospital tank. In that tank I just run a heater and sponge filter and treat the fish for seven days then do a water change. The product will help prevent when you first get new fish and also cure fish of certain diseases but not all.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Yes they're safe to use on established tanks, though you may need to keep an eye on water parameters. They're not supposed to impact N-bacteria, but I have had ammonia spikes (which I recently learned may actually be related to a bacteria bloom rather than outright killing).

If you've got fish that have caught your eye as "something isn't right" I'd QT them till you're sure.

I QT all new fish a minimum of 2 weeks before adding them to main tanks, and if something looks "off" to me, I'll go ahead and dose Melafix and Pimafix. It's generally easier to cure if you catch something early on than down the road, and these 2 can be effective against a decent spectrum of issues. I keep fish in QT a miniumum of 2 weeks after showing any visible sign of being sick, and 4 weeks after isn't ususual (especially if any fish have actually died).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.