The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Still having a problem with the slime algae. Today it exploded and grew all over a 1' x 8" piece of lava rock in the tank. This morning it was only a few spots of algae.
I noticed that Melafix is sold as a useful for treating bacterial problems. Since slime algae is really a bacteria, not algae, can iat be used to treat?
I am considering the hydrogen peroxide method if melafix isn't an option. I don't want to use E-mycin because the tank is new and the good bacteria is still trying to establish. I don't want to do the blackout method because all my plants are still kinda in shock from arriving at my house half frozen.
Any other suggestions?

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
the Myacin I works... it only kills gram negative bacteria.. and BGA happen to fall in that category..

You'll have to do a black out and the antibacterial... Reduce you photoperiod after this is all done.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply. i know my photoperiod definately has something to do with the algae. it's too long. about 14 hours. i need to buy a timer. thanks. :icon_smil

·
Registered
930 Posts
How would you dose Erythromycin to kill the BGA? What would the schedule be like?

I dont mean to hi-jack the thread!

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
You are confusing Melafix with marcyn I think. Melafix is tea tree oil I believe. Maracyn is what you use to treat BGA>
Maracyn is likely not to harm your Nitrobacter...it is geared more towards a different population. Use the Marcyn and be done with it.
You dose it as directed....calculate the dose based on gallons and dose for I believe 5 days, then do a water change and put carbon in your filter.

Sergio is 100% correct....people have been perpetuating the wrong info for many years.....Erythro will not harm gram neg bacteria.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts