The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Additive Layer: First off, I will be putting down some nutrients on the glass. I've settled on adding a dusting of organic peat moss, potassium chloride (muriate of potash), and dolomite.

Dirt Layer:
For this layer, I'm going to be using MGOCPS

Questions here
which is best as a high-CEC material dirt?
What is MGOCPS?

I use Scott's Hyponex Potting soil. Here my next substrate, Co2 generating sub.

If your ph is high you don't want to use dolomite for it will increase the ph.

Read somewhere:
Laterite CEC is much less than for clay or humus.
Soilmaster : 19 Will lower the ph number.
Turface: 29 to 41 Turface red is 29, black is 41.
Red Bag Kitty litter has a high CEC

More info on CEC here

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
You inspired me to research CEC. Read that using clay products will increase Anion exchange capacities (opposite of cation)--not so much with "organic" matter, which probably is a good reason to include both "organic" and "inorganic

Thus when I break down my 20g high, which has Alternanthera reineckii in it, I am going to redo the substrate as so:
1st Layer – Coconut Husk (for CEC)
2nd Layer – Blood Meal (to provide nitrogen)
3rd Layer - Potassium Nitrate, Sodium Bicarb, Kitty litter (for CEC)
4th Layer - Scott's Hyponex Potting Soil,
5th Layer - River Sand

Hopefully this will decrease my need for Co2 as DaveFish did with his Controsoil substrate in his 10g.

Bump:
Miracle Grow Organic Potting Soil

I don't think it really matters what potting soil you use as long as it's organic.
Scott's Hyponex Potting Soil is cheaper.

I once used Vigoro organic Potting mix and it killed everything in the tank.

The only cheap black substrate I have found is Black Diamond Blasting Sand and it is more a gray black in my tank.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Here is what I brainstormed with myself when I setup a 20 long not even 2 months ago.
One layer of clay dug out up to 2 feet down my backyard.
One layer of pond soil, a commercial product specific to ponds.
One layer of play sand. I use this in all my tanks.
I have tried play sand, pool filter sand, and river sand. Play sand I hate. I has a sand storm in the tank. Pool filter was ok. Just mulm sticks to it so you have to take some out and replace it with clean sand. River sand, which I get from a landscaping co, is my favorite. I love more than black diamond blasting sand, for it needs minimum rinsing and mulm doesn't show since it is light brown. I simply shift out the larger pieces with a colander.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts