The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I recently got a Male Betta for my 10g and he is so cool. I attempted to get a halfway decent picture of him.

He was trying to hide behind the Moneywort/Sunset Hygro/Narrow Leaf Sword in this pic. Well thats the only good:)rolleyes: ) picture of him. Here is his home that he was in for like a week and a half!

I have a hard time scaping since I have many plants but I am going to be RAOK to a friend with a 10. Im going to split up my plants where I have a little less. Thanks for looking at him!

~James

·
Registered
612 Posts
Give him some time to get comfortable with you as his human friend and you won't be able to get him to hide. :) If I get within 10ft of my betta he starts going crazy trying to get me to play with him or feed him. Betta's have great personalities IMO. I can even lift mine out of the water with my hand and he'll just lay there and let me pet him for a sec before I lower him back in. My betta absolutely loves guppy fry (which I have plenty of. :biggrin: ).

Have you been to betta talk? they have some pretty good info there. Great looking betta btw. Congrats on the new addition.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Its hard to tell in the pic but he has a clear ridge on his tail and a bit of a blue tint in his tail and dorsal fin. He got scared because of my male Red Wag Platy trying to attack. That platy is getting on my nerves lol. I havent been to betta talk but I am going to check it out now!

·
Registered
612 Posts
well if he aggravates the betta too much you're likely to have half a platty :D
depending on your betta's personality. From what I've seen they like java moss and large stem plants because they make good hammocks/ beds. Good luck with your new betta.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My betta is timid. He was in a female Betta tank. He rest in the Cambomba in the back corner and the platy will rest in the Ceylon Hygro. Im thinking my Platy is a mutt lol. My betta bites me when I go to take out extra Tubifex worms. Hes coming around though!

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
female bettas will nip too. Mine does it everytime I change the water. You can teach the betta to jump for its food too... Just dangle a bite size bit of raw shrimp an inch from the surface.. Watch him jump for it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
...it's so nice to see bettas in larger planted tanks!!! Thanks for providing Blaze with a good home...

·
Registered
562 Posts
careful James! you'll end up with so many fish containers, you won't know what to do! That's actually the one thing that made me stop buying male bettas even though they're gorgeous (we get all tail types over here in Seattle at the pet stores. It's pretty nice) because I really just don't have the shelf space to set up another 5gl spot every time i see another pretty boy. sometimes I see a pretty girl and decide she needs to go live in my "harem" but... no more boys. Not for another year or so when one of my boys decides to "move on".

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yeah grew up keeping bettas with my uncle. He's now koko and had a betta shop here locally but it went out of buisness. I just don't know why people keep them in a small cup or jar. I know that they can live like that but wouldn't you want these pretty fish to have a little more room. I do think that they look out of place in a 30 gallon or more however but the best is a 2.5 gallon or 5 gallon IMO.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Yeah grew up keeping bettas with my uncle. He's now koko and had a betta shop here locally but it went out of buisness. I just don't know why people keep them in a small cup or jar. I know that they can live like that but wouldn't you want these pretty fish to have a little more room. I do think that they look out of place in a 30 gallon or more however but the best is a 2.5 gallon or 5 gallon IMO.
I have one male and several females in a 29 gallon.. They explore every inch of the tank.. They seem to like the big space and feel at home.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have one male and several females in a 29 gallon.. They explore every inch of the tank.. They seem to like the big space and feel at home.
You got one lover boy Male betta :biggrin: He's a king in there for sure. I was actually talking about keeping 1 male betta by itself since they will fight. If just keeping one male betta then a 2.5 or 5 gallon is perfect. Bettas are very hardy fishes, I think the only way the died on people is because they keep them in such a little jar. Clean water can become poor water quickly, and water changes are often done with a 100% change in small jars. A bigger tank and then you can vaccum the waste out and still do 50% water change.

Man I think I'm going to get one again. This time I'm going for a masterpiece betta that cost a lot of money. I admit when I was a kid I use to fight them, but now I know more. They are one of the most beautiful fishes ever and they should not be kept to fight. Here's an example of a betta I'm trying to get, and I'd kill myself if I let this guy fight and ruin his pretty fins.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts