The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have recently just bought a fluval 306 in my new tank and have the standard media that came with the box, to get rid of all the chemicals from the new tank. However after 2 weeks id like to swap that media for something healthier for my tank - it will be low tech, medium planted with bunch of tetras, rasboras and 2 pearl gouramis.

I was thinking of putting Purigen and substrat pro on the top chamber, subtrat pro In the middle and eheim mech on the bottom. Is that good bio media? Any other recommendations?

Also, I was wondering does anyone know the capacity of the baskets in the 3 baskets/chambers in the 306? I can't find anything and fluval sells everything in grams whereas substrat pro/mech are all sold in liters..

Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
On my ehiem i use the ceramic rings, blue foam, afrogrog, and fine filter foam all is clear and levels 0.0, I have bought a big bag of activated carbon and some strainer bags which I'll add next time I clean the filter hopefully that will reduce the smell coming from the tank, I have got substrate pro but not used it yet and don't think I will

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Isn't carbon bad for plants? The carbon is great right now as it's keeping it clear but I have plants so my understanding is that I should remove carbon after 2-3 weeks

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm not sure I only used the carbon pads that came with the filter for a few weeks before I had plants so not used the carbon since planting, my water is clear but smells a little hence the carbon

·
Registered
5 Posts
That makes sense. I was thinking of removing carbon this weekend so my plants can start getting their nutrients. However, does anyone know the media capacity of these Fluval 306 baskets? Trying to figure out how much bio media I need to get...

I've heard Purigen does the same thing as carbon but much healthier for your plants.

Does anyone know the volume capacity of the fluval 306 baskets?

Thanks

·
Registered
502 Posts
The Fluval website lists the media volume at 6.6L- So assuming all three baskets are the same size that is 2.2L each.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I too have a Fluval 306 canister filter. I use the stock foam pads in the bottom tray. In the middle tray I use Seachem Matrix. Lastly, in the top I use Seachem Purigen along with lots of filter floss. Great results!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts