The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm such a sucker! After reading the "saved a betta" thread below I gave in to my urge to save a betta from petco. Normally I would never buy any livestock from them, but I sometimes get cat litter there when I can't get to my usual worker co-op to buy it. The sad little bettas in the cups get to me.

I brought home a female who was showing almost no color, I mean she was white with just a tiny hint of pale lavendar in the fins. I had previously set up a 4 1/2 gallon planted tank, no filter, 3" sand substrate with about 1/2" aquasoil/powersand at the bottom, one 20 watt colormax CF bulb (very pink!), hydor 7.5 watt heater, no CO2 (dosing 4 drops a day Excel and a little Green Brightly).

I thought she would color up some and show more purple in the fins but I was amazed at how she changed. She loves her tank (especially since it had been uninhabited and was full of naturally occuring live food!).

With flash on below you can see she's not as purple as the colormax makes her but she ain't white either!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you 2 females

do your 2 females fight? I had read you had to have one or three. Supposedly with only two one will pick on the other and with three it is diffused and they form a hierarchy. If my tank was bigger I would go for a trio.

I guess you'll remove the bettas when you put in the puffers.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Actually, two are usually okay together, especially when you give them lots of room. It's supposedly when you have three together that you have problems ~ two gang up on the one.

I have two females in a 2+ gallon jar and they're doing fine. They're not best buds, but they don't fight. The older girl did chase the younger around for a while, but there was never even a slightly torn fin on either of them. Now, two weeks later, they're still getting along fine, even when I feed them. They just kind of ignore each other. ;)

In a couple weeks, I'll be setting up a ten gallon for them. Eventually I'll have more females to add in with them.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I forgot to say that I really like your girl's color! When I saw that first picture, my jaw dropped and I quickly balanced my checkbook to know how much to offer you for her in the hopes I could possibly pry her away from you.:hihi: A truly purple betta is one of the "Holy Grail"s of betta breeding. And she sure looks purple in that first pic! LOL! But I still like that blue shade she is, especially with the "overlay" of that silvery-kinda-purty color.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
purple haze

Just buy a colormax bulb and you too can have a purple betta! But she does have some purple on her actually, just not as much, hee hee.:wink:

·
Registered
803 Posts
Just buy a colormax bulb and you too can have a purple betta!
Heeheehee!

Is the purple on her kind of coppery-purple in real life? It's hard to tell in pics (my camera doesn't reproduce purple accurately either :(). If so, then that's what's called "metallic" if I'm remembering right. Metallic on a black betta is stunning. Have you ever just looked on Aquabid at the bettas for sale there? Serious drool-time, let me tell you. Lots of metallics, too.

·
Registered
96 Posts
actually I saved a betta last week from PetLand discounts.. looks like the one in the original thread, all blue and red with "feather" fins. I felt a little like a hero when i released him into my low tech planted :)

·
Registered
845 Posts
:) Great looking betta! She's beautiful! It is difficult to capture their true colors with the camera. I tried a few with the flash on and they came out awful. LOL

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks!

thanks for your great comments everyone. I'm not sure what her "real" color is since she changed so much and looks different under different lights. She has blue, purple, and some pinkish red... and she does look a bit "metallic". Not bad for an ugly little duckling in the store. Oh dear, I can't look at them there any more though, they all look like they need saving. Lets just say that after volunteering at the SPCA I now am the slave of four cats so... lets just not go there.:redface:

·
Registered
452 Posts
Wow great betta! :) Give her time; she'll probably color up beautifully for you. ^_^ I know, I breed bettas.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts