The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
started - 08/13/12
UPDATED - 10/30/13

This is my first rimless tank and third planted tank. I will be doing a dry start. I just hooked up the filter and filled the tank to check for leaks. Glad to report all is well. I should be ready to start planting by the weekend. I have to give credit to micrO's 12g tank. This is what sealed the deal for me to get this going.

Tank - Mr. Aqua
Light - 1 Archaea 36W PC Light/ Current Satellite plus led
Filter - Eheim Classic 350
Gush jet drop checker
Lily pipes - ada knockoff
Substrate - Amazonia
Hardscape - Manzanita ( from FrenchFry) & Ohko Stone
H2o - Tap/RO
CO2 - GLA PB Regulator /
Heating - Hydor 200W Inline

Flora - Anubias petite, Anubius barteri, Crypt green geco, Staurogyne sp, Pogostemon Heleferi,
Syngonanthus Belem Sp, rotala mini butterfly, Roatala Macaranda variegated, ludwigia repens, Ludwigia Red (mini), Hygrophila Tiger, Heteranthera Zosterifolia, Lobelia Cardinalis, Hygrophila Sunset, Fissiden Fontanus, Hornwart, mini pellia, Christmas moss, java moss, Amazon frogbit, pericardial sp 'Kawagoeanum', lilaeopsis chinensis, mini marimo balls, Najas grass, hygroryza Aristata

Fauna - 2 Red Pencil fish
4 CPD's
4 CPO's
Blue Diamond Shrimp
A-C grade CRS
Ramshorns & pond snails

Current Water Parameters 10/30/13

TDS 180
GH 5
KH 1-2
PH 6.3
NH3 0
NO3 5ppm
PO3 .25

Lighting is on for 6hrs a day with the co2 kicking on 1hr before the lights. With the new Satellite LED's I can enjoy this tank lit up at night as well.

Feel free to comment on my set up as it starts to grow!:icon_mrgr:icon_mrgr:icon_mrgr

Attachments

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks really nice. Does that light light up very end of the right and left side of the tank?

What kind of fish or shrimp you plan to get?
I'm planning on adding one more light to even out the spectrum. However, I think plants would still do well with the one since the tank is so shallow.
I'm thinking of adding a school of chili rasboras and maybe a few cpd's.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I'll be replacing the stone on the left. It's just too darn colorful. :icon_eek:
I'm not sure if it's slopped enough towards the back. Should I exaggerate the slopping more? I'm afraid when I fill it I'll loose some of the slope. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
i love these tanks still hung up on one of these and a 33 long, i like the wood placement in the empty tank better but it really depends on the layout i like it like that so u can have a low groundcover and some moss or something on the wood without having them blend together. looks like you have a great start already though.

i did notice ur fauna is actually all flora ;p didnt know if u caught that. curious to see what your going to put in there i like either some shrimp only or some micro cichlids maybe some micro pikes 2-3inch might look really good. hope u get those plants i might have to try some downoi if you get it going good. and i would probably try to slop that from the front *lower to the back higher* and see if that subtle change dials it in to where u wanted it, i can make a huge asthetic change when done imo.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just finished planting all the plants that I received from some very generous people here on TPT. The only thing I want to add are some Fissidens splachnobryoides that I will plant in the stone and manzanita. So far I'm happy with it.:biggrin::biggrin:

Attachments

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice tank! When are you planning to fill it?
I'm gonna let things grow out for at least a couple of months. I want to establish good root growth in the plants and good bacteria growth for the fauna that will be living in there. I'm in no hurry.:icon_mrgr:icon_mrgr:icon_mrgr

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Added UG & Downoi

So, I received 2 small clumps of UG and some downoi. I planted the downoi (which was previously submerged) in my tank growing it now emersed. I burried just the roots and kept the stem above the substrate. I read that this may be the ticket to keeping it alive in amazonia soil. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
I have some of the UG growing on a piece of driftwood and some other small pieces growing directly on the ada soil. Again I have read both horror stories and success stories about growing UG on ada amazonia soil. I also have a small piece growing in some sphagnum moss in my terrarium to see how well it does. Has anybody had success dry starting UG and downoi in ADA Amazonia soil? I'd be interested in hearing if it did good or not.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Algae

I noticed a little bit of green algae growing towards the front of the glass today.:eek: I think I had too much water in my tank. My water was pretty much level with the substrate. I drained some water, raised my lights, aired out my tank a bit and added excel to my misting bottle. I had been using excel in the mist bottle since I started the tank and stopped using excel a few days ago when I planted my UG. I switched to distilled water and then the algae appeared. I'm back to using the excel. I hope this helps.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 67 Posts