The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The substrate I use is a mix of sand & small gravel that I purchased from homedepot. It's in a white rice bag type deal, not pool filter sand or play sand.

Anyways I have a tank with Mts/shrimp & I have a tank with nothing but fish.
I've just noticed it today but I believe the Mts dug around the sand/mix so much that all the bigger pebbles are now at the surface & fine sand is on the bottom. May not mean much to some people but I am actually amazed by it! Although I do like the all sand look & can remove all the pebbles easily I will leave it be as the shrimp seem to like going through all of it

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yeah it'll probably be a good idea to leave the pebbles in there biofilm and all the good stuf can accumulate in the crevices of the pebbles. Great for the shrimp.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I believe if you put sand over gravel or any larger substrate it will eventually sink down below on its own.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I believe if you put sand over gravel or any larger substrate it will eventually sink down below on its own.
:proud:

However, I feel the OP is correct in that the MTS are speeding up that process. I've watch as they come up out of the Substrate like little submarines pushing smaller pebbles up as they go.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I heard that MTS can actually help a planted tank by going through the substrate releasing a gas or something. Like I said heard about, but never cared enough to look it up.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I heard that MTS can actually help a planted tank by going through the substrate releasing a gas or something. Like I said heard about, but never cared enough to look it up.
Yeah they help tanks with natural soil because they break up toxic pockets of gas caused by natural decay occurring in the dirt.

A 10G tank can easily support 100 MTS within a couple of months, so they are prolific breeders but I've never seen them as pests. Since they mostly only come out of the substrate at night I rarely see them. They are livebearers too, so they have one mini MTS at a time rather than laying eggs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts