The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 25 gallon tank that has a coralife 24" compact fluorescent fixture on it right now. Its time replace my bulbs, again.. At 60$+ a piece, and having to drive quite a distance to buy them (if they are even in stock, normally not) im wondering if its a better option to find a new light.

Whats a good 24" fixture for a fair price? Right now the tank is low-tech but that isnt going to stay that way for very long, so it would be nice to have something with multiple bulbs that can cover a few applications.

I dont mind buying online either.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I've been using this fixture from Petsmart.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11248153&lmdn=Brand

It looks Identical to the Coralife aqualite T5NO fixtures I used to have. I changed the Colormax bulb out to a 10000k bulb. Now I have a 6700k and the 10000k. Its much brighter than before. I havent had any trouble with it in 6 months.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2 T5NO bulbs will be low light on a 20" tall tank, possibly similar to the PC fixture you have now. Here is a chart from Hoppys lighting sticky. It will tell you what you need to know.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/lighting/105774-par-vs-distance-t5-t12-pc.html

So even if I were to replace and run both 65 watt bulbs in the tank it would still be considered low light? that doesnt sound right to me, but Im also not the one who's tested it lol.

Thanks for the reponses guys, ill take a look around at some actually local stores and see what I can find.

One other question, i've heard about doing a burst of light for an hour or two around noon. Will this make any noticeable difference in any tank?

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.