The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased some caribsea floramax midnight from my local petsmart at an outstanding price. However now I am wondering if that was a good choice. It seems that it might be too lose to plant anything into. I am trying to plant some dwarf hair grass and it is a total pita. Should I try to mix it with some kind of sand? The reason I went with it, is because I am told it is good for root feeding plants and I also liked the black color. They also have this caribsea super naturals black sand that I was thinking of buy and mixing with this sand in order to help make the substrate a little tighter so it is easier to plant.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
it is tough to plant hairgrass in it. I personally dont like the look of mixed substrates (ie sand and gravel) but thats my opinion. I have Flourite black sand and i hate it. Everything settles on top of the sand and if you dont do weekly water changes, it looks horrible. I personally will go back to eco complete or do a mineralized top soil with a cap of gravel next time

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it is tough to plant hairgrass in it. I personally dont like the look of mixed substrates (ie sand and gravel) but thats my opinion. I have Flourite black sand and i hate it. Everything settles on top of the sand and if you dont do weekly water changes, it looks horrible. I personally will go back to eco complete or do a mineralized top soil with a cap of gravel next time
Yeah I think I may exchange this sand for the eco complete myself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts