The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I'm contemplating a low-tech 10-gallon as my first real planted tank. I had a 29gallon "tropical community" when I was a kid, and have had a variety of cichlid tanks on and off in the interim. I'm currently intrigued by a planted tank, probably with some shrimps and either a handful of dwarf frogs or some smallish fish.

So -- my question, what's the most light I would want to put over this thing? I'm still debating between a DIY NO T-5 using parts scavenged from a kitchen light or somesuch, or just using spiral CFLs.

-Rick

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I'm using two 15watt spiral cfl bulbs in my heavily planted 10 gallon. While I've given it the ole college try in my battle with algae, I've had to reduce my photoperiod drastically, because the algae was blacking out my plant's leaves and killing them. I run the lights from 8 am - noon, then from 7 pm to 11 pm. That's 8 hours with no window light. After a massive trimming of dead leaves, The plants are finally looking healthy again, but growing much slower. My previous photoperiod was 10 hours straight through (which lasted 4 months before I had to cut it back). My bioload is very small too: 2 otos, 4 cardinal tetras, and 10 ghost shrimp. I feed very lightly and there is NEVER any leftovers.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
A single T5 would be good I think personally. The two spirals make for very good light coverage, I just had too long of a photoperiod and that sparked a massive algae outbreak which I am finally getting the upperhand on. If I had started with a shorter photoperiod from the beginning it would have probably been fine. It's technically 3 wpg, but with almost no reflector, and the bulbs being less than 50% efficient, I still think it falls in low/medium light. Just watch the photoperiod I would say.

·
Registered
276 Posts
For what its worth I've used a single 15Watt T8 over my 10Gal for a decade with overall good success as a low tech setup, though I had to find the right mix of plants before it would go on autopilot.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'm currently running two 10w spiral CFLs in a stock incandescent hood over my 10g Shrimp tank.

I've just started a rimless 10g with the Archaea 45cm LED fixture (will see how it works).

No CO2
weekly dosing with API Leaf Zone

The pic w the Betta is my LED tank

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
If I may ask -- what mix of plants worked out best?
About 6-8 Anubias (mix of the short and tall variety) with a couple Jungle Vals (allowing them to grow to several feet and just coil on the surface). The look may not be for everyone, but the long Val leaves (bunched on the surface) shade the tank somewhat and, under these conditions, for years I've had no algae and gorgeous anubias which frequently flower.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.