The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I have one eclipse 6 and one old 12 i found in the basement that I want to retrofit. I've pretty much decided on using the AH supply kit, since i'm extremely paranoid about exposed connections and water.

I'm just wondering how much has anyone tried to cram in?

For sure the 6 can only use the 18 watt (former 13, now discontinued) kit. I read on one thread that you can fit two kits into it? Has anyone else tried that.

As for the 12, I was going for the 36w watt kit, but 1 or 2 fixtures. the 55watt kit seems way to long.

Cheers

·
Registered
357 Posts
<sigh>

I still haven't actually gotten around to doing it, but eventually I'm going to do a DIY lighting upgrade in my Eclipse 6. I'm going to use a double-sided standard socket, two 10-watt CFLs and a homemade reflector (maybe just silver ventilation tape). There's plenty of room under the hood for it, and it would be much, much cheaper than what AH wants for that 18-watt kit... If you're handy enough to install one of those kits, then you could easily upgrade like that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<sigh>

I still haven't actually gotten around to doing it, but eventually I'm going to do a DIY lighting upgrade in my Eclipse 6. I'm going to use a double-sided standard socket, two 10-watt CFLs and a homemade reflector (maybe just silver ventilation tape). There's plenty of room under the hood for it, and it would be much, much cheaper than what AH wants for that 18-watt kit... If you're handy enough to install one of those kits, then you could easily upgrade like that.
i was considering that, but the water! how were you going to protect the socket from water damage? I read waterproofing tape (wouldn't it just seep in) and silicone (how in the world will you replace the bulbs then.).

·
Registered
711 Posts
i was considering that, but the water! how were you going to protect the socket from water damage? I read waterproofing tape (wouldn't it just seep in) and silicone (how in the world will you replace the bulbs then.).
ahs' water-resistant end caps will protect it from incidental water splashes. i would also mount the ballast remotely. the 55 kit differs from the 36 kit only with respect to the length of the reflector; the ballast is the same for both.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ahs' water-resistant end caps will protect it from incidental water splashes. i would also mount the ballast remotely. the 55 kit differs from the 36 kit only with respect to the length of the reflector; the ballast is the same for both.
Oh i was referring to a DIY with compact fluorescents.

but i have decided, i'm going with the 18 watt for my 6 and 2 x 36 for my eclipse 1 hood. have you ever used these kits before milesm?

·
Registered
711 Posts
Oh i was referring to a DIY with compact fluorescents.

but i have decided, i'm going with the 18 watt for my 6 and 2 x 36 for my eclipse 1 hood. have you ever used these kits before milesm?
yes. i've retrofitted four aga 20Hgal light strips with ahs' 36 watt kit. however, i have no experience with the eclipse hoods.

btw, i think 2X36w on your eclipse 12 would be way too much light.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes. i've retrofitted four aga 20Hgal light strips with ahs' 36 watt kit. however, i have no experience with the eclipse hoods.

btw, i think 2X36w on your eclipse 12 would be way too much light.
Hmm cool. from lthe looks of it now i'll go with 1 13w and 1 36 w!

thanks.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Hmm cool. from lthe looks of it now i'll go with 1 13w and 1 36 w!

thanks.
punchbuggy,

the ahs 36w kit has the 18" reflector and the 55w kit has the 22" reflector, but both use the same ballast. so, you can retrofit your canopy with a 36w kit, but order a 55 watt bulb if you want. to get more even spread of the light, you should raise the fixture about 2 to 3 inches (and still get moderate to low light levels, as reported by hoppy). i realize that would defeat the aesthetic integrated appeal of eclipse systems, but hey do you want your tank to look good or do you want your plants to look good? :icon_smil

btw, are you using co2 or excel? your light levels will outstrip your carbon levels if you don't. consider non-co2 methods (search here or tom barr's site).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hmm i never thought about that. i guess i'll try the 36watt kit with a 36 bulb and then see if in the future i can swap in a 55 watt bulb.

i'm using co2, but i'm planning to switch to excel.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I got my kit and installed!!!

No Screws, just some 5 minute epoxy heres my mini journal.

15 g first.

Took off the old eclipse lamp + the end caps that attach to make room for everything. Snipped the tin to fit into the plastic cover.

Switch can easily be put in between the ballast and the power cord by just putting one of the wires from the ballast to the switch then the other switch cord to the power cord. Essentially youre just adding something else to the circuit.

emptied hood

Refelector was snipped, mostly on the back since the front doesn't really need more light out of the tank. Epoxied reflector then epoxied the bulb holders onto the reflector. Guided the cords through the space made by pulling the old fluorescent tube holders out.

Where the cord was guided through

Finish product with flash

And without

6G hood

Took out everything, snipped the front part of the reflector. Stuck it in the middle. No Hood covers for the lamp.

Tank with new light. PS. those plants were all grown with the stock lighting, so it is possible! Only 1 mth. I just wanted more vigourous growth

I'm now at 3wpg for 6G and and 2.4g for 15G. I inject DIY co2 (mainly to lower pH, but obviously needed now since i have lights) and excel.

·
Registered
334 Posts
lol nice! does it leak tho? i have a 10 gallon tank only....and the way things are with life, it wont be at least 5 more years until i can get anything bigger.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts