The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has mature tanks that have been chugging along for years? If so, post how long your tank has been going....Would love to see anyone that has had a tank going for a decade or more 馃檪

Premium Member
I have an 8.5 year old 24 x 24 inch cube aquarium that has been going for 8.5 years. Same filter it started with. :)
It is not a "planted tank" per sey. I mean, I plant plants in it routinely and, then, they routinely die. :)

I have discus in this tank, it is low tech, lots of water changes and high heat. Not a good mix for plant growth.

snails are your friend
I have a pair of 125 gallon tanks that haven't been broken down since before I joined this forum. They're going strong but are in need of an overhaul one of these days. Once in a while I move some hardscape during a water change and the sludge is unreal in the areas that don't get gravel vacc'ed regularly.

Registered
I have a 29 gallon that is at least 17 years old. Kind of lost track. It has a bristlenose pleco and one last zebra loach that are as old as the tank. I replaced the substrate at one point maybe 8 years ago and have pool filter sand now. It has gone through many phases of looking better and worse. It鈥檚 super ugly right now, but I鈥檓 pretty sure I鈥檓 on a sustainable upswing. It鈥檚 been a very long lesson in having realistic expectations of myself and the plants.

Editing to add: Do tanks get old? Not like old tank syndrome, but like the actual tank? It鈥檚 a standard glass-with-black-frame. Was All-glass at the time... Will the silicone let go at some point?

Registered
I think that tanks 'getting old' is largely a function of the assembly quality when the tank was built . If the conditions were right , i.e. the glass was absolutely clean , everything fitted exactly as it should , the assembler knew what they were doing and wasn't having a bad day , the tank wasn't bounced around before the sealant totally cured ; then the tank should last a real long time .
I've got a 20 gallon long Metaframe , purchased new when frameless tanks were new . Been set up since new , save for breakdowns due to moving , and change of setups when I change species (I keep species tanks) . I've also got a 10 that's been around forever , maybe a Perfecto or All-Glass . Same thing , never resealed , just holds water like new .

Registered
I have a heavily planted 55g with CO2 feed since 1995, never broken down, and most of the plants go back that far. It is populated with community fish. Have had several recent battles with algae. Chemistry looks good so it'
Plant community Vertebrate Plant Green Rectangle
s mysterious.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.