The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 618 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
*Please jump to post 85 for commencement of testing*

After about two days of intermittent research I found a place that is shipping 15 pound sacks of what Seachem calls Matrix in the same piece size for about 30 bucks. I won't mention what this material is as we all know already lol.
Equivalent amount of Matrix would run over 200.00
I like and use many Seachem products but in this case someone over there must have been reading P.T. Barnum.
"There's a sucker born every minute".

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
Doing scratch bids for ponds online I also found a site that was shutting down selling eheim classic cans new for $45. Back then I didn't have any tanks, so I watched it go by.

About the matrix
The similar product they sell on ebay is about the same price and comes in the bags so it is easy to change out. I personally do not like the drawstring media bags.

Please keep hands off glass.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
After about two days of intermittent research I found a place that is shipping 15 pound sacks of what Seachem calls Matrix in the same piece size for about 30 bucks. I won't mention what this material is as we all know already lol.
Equivalent amount of Matrix would run over 200.00
I like and use many Seachem products but in this case someone over there must have been reading P.T. Barnum.
"There's a sucker born every minute".

I just bought a liter of matrix and need more so please do share the link lol.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I was going to buy a pale of matrix for $60 to filter a 400G+ tank. You'd almost never need $200 worth of Matrix. That would have the bio capacity for well over 1000G US, possibly closer to 1500-2000G.

Anyway, cool! I'd like to check it out.

EDIT:

$30 is rated at 400 US gallons.

Amazon.com : Matrix, 4 L / 1 gal. : Aquarium Water Changers : Pet Supplies

I think this is what I had my eye on for my tank. I may have been buying 2 at the time.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For those who don't know Matrix is nothing more than white pumice stone that has been "acid washed" which is rather a dubious thing given it has never been proven scientifically that that process is of any real benefit other than the benefit of color uniformity and the profit swelling it provides Seachem's bottom line.
Also given this is simply stone any of their precious dosing specs are rather immaterial.
More is better because why not.
Also again why pay what 3x more for the same thing?
Yes another forum actually paid a lab to determine what Matrix was and tada! Pumice.
So save your damn money. Or pay for their pretty bucket and label. And the fact that they washed and effectively bleached it. Yeah I'll take the 15 pound sack please lol
http://www.generalpumiceproducts.com/order-here/

Reactions: patfat

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're welcome!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For all I know given this is from the two major mines for this stuff it could even be Seachem's wholesaler for all I know.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Oh, interesting. I'll look into this.

EDIT: Looked into it.

Pumice is roughly a pound and a half per liter. So 15lbs would be 10 liters of pumice. Seachem matrix is 4L for $30 and this stuff is 10L for $25. You can guestimate it at 2.5x the value. Not quite 8x the price. I'd even give you 3x the value.

A good resource for bulk though. I'll buy a 15lb bag for my next tank for sure. It will WAY over filter my tank though, in terms of potential bio capacity.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes I was doing math while half asleep you are correct. I calculated wrong.
But the value is clear lol. I will edit that to reflect the correct value.

·
Registered
835 Posts
awesome. I never knew this.

I wonder if you could use large pieces of it for a hardscape

·
Registered
3,011 Posts

The largest available on this site is 3/8" from what I saw, which is matrix sized.

You can find it at local home improvement stores though (IE Lowes/Home Depot). It comes in the same size as lava rock and is essentially a more porous rock of the same nature. At least, that's what my 5 minutes on Google told me, so it has to be true. :grin2:

Also, no worries on the math. I was just curious about the numbers. I really worry about posting any sort of exaggeration on the internet because it becomes 'the truth' very quickly.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
The largest available on this site is 3/8" from what I saw, which is matrix sized.

You can find it at local home improvement stores though (IE Lowes/Home Depot). It comes in the same size as lava rock and is essentially a more porous rock of the same nature. At least, that's what my 5 minutes on Google told me, so it has to be true. :grin2:

Also, no worries on the math. I was just curious about the numbers. I really worry about posting any sort of exaggeration on the internet because it becomes 'the truth' very quickly.

You cannot find it at Home Depot or Lowes or even landscaping places at least not in Texas. It is a regional product apparently. This is why I ordered online. At least not in the larger Seachem equivalent size.

Actually they are different geologically and by effect on pH among other things.
Scoria is an extremely vesicular basaltic lava and pumice is a essentially a froth of felsic volcanic glass.

Source: College geology class and http://www.pitt.edu/~cejones/GeoImages/2IgneousRocks/IgneousTextures/8PumiceScoria.html

Remember how exaggeration becomes truth!!! :p

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)

Get in touch with them. They are the miners/wholesalers/retailers all in house so stands to reason whatever size your would like in a 15 pound minimum could be accommodated.
But single large pieces might be more easily sourced locally at landscaping yards.
Just not the Matrix size. THAT I was unable to source at a decent rate anywhere locally or regionally.

Bump: Also quality of other places is suspect see here a comparison example to explain what I am saying. This is why the research took a while. Many things were considered lol.
Especially quality.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
You cannot find it at home depot or lowes or even landscaping places at least not in Texas. It is a regional product apparently. This is why I ordered online. At least not in the larger Seachem equivalent size.

Actually they are different geologically and by effect on pH among other things.
Scoria is an extremely vesicular basaltic lava and pumice is a essentially a froth of felsic volcanic glass.

Source: College geology class and Pumice and Scoria

Remember how exaggeration becomes truth!!! :p

Pumice and lava rock are both volcanic rock and share some qualities, that's all I meant. The effects on the tank are different. I'm in Florida and I don't think my local hardware stores have it either. I really haven't looked into it at all though.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
This is a goldmine @Lonestarbandit. I will be ordering mine this week. What does shipping look like on it?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is a goldmine @Lonestarbandit. I will be ordering mine this week. What does shipping look like on it?
You must order a 15 pound sack shipping is included @ I believe 28 bucks give or take some pennies.
It would really be an ever better deal if people local to each other split the sack and cost :)
I'm sure a 15 pound sack is more than enough for all 6 of my canister filters.

Reactions: Freemananana

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
You must order a 15 pound sack shipping is included @ I believe 28 bucks give or take some pennies.
It would really be an ever better deal if people local to each other split the sack and cost :)
Thats enough to biofilter 30 aquariums lol.

1 - 20 of 618 Posts