The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a Matheson 3810 stainless regulator, however it does not have a low pressure gauge and I need to switch out the stem on it (cga 580) to a cga 320.

Where is the best place to obtain a low pressure gauge that is a 316 stainless Matheson gauge with a range from preferably 0-400 psi because I would like to keep it as original as possible?

Additionally I would like to find a short stainless cga nipple and nut because I only have a 5lb tank and I am worried that it might tip over from the weight of the regulator with too long of a stem. I am having trouble locating this and considered using an adapter but it would only add length to the setup.

After I finish with the regulator I will likely piece together a post body kit consisting of a Clippard Mouse solenoid and a Swagelok metering valve. I would appreciate some input on this and the best method of constructing that setup.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought about it but my local shops probably don't stock it and I am afraid that ordering it might be a bit pricey. I'm not opposed to finding a used one and have been scouring ebay for one.

·
Premium Member
3,014 Posts
You can get the cga 320 nipple and nut from airgas for under $10. If you want the stainless steel nipple and nut, go to evil bay, the price is about $40-$50.

The LP gauge, it is hard to find a stainless steel one, probably you can order it from airgas, not cheap.
if you want a regular brass 0-400 psi from evil bay, have to wait until you see one.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Stainless CGA320 nipple (>2"): $24
Stainless CGA320 nut: $24
Stainless in-port filter: $13
All plus shipping.
Pm me for the website.

COntact customer support at Matheson and ask them for the proper part number. Stainless is more expensive than brass generally speaking. But a stainless gauge (new) will run you about $50. You can try to find a used one, but good luck...these stainless units are harder to find. They are not like a model 8.

Sometimes the replacement gauges will not match exactly. If you're a stickler like I am, you can replace both gauges at the same time and save the good gauge for the next vintage regulator you pick up.

Again, PM me if you need any help.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
A 0-400 psi output regulator is not a good CO2 regulator, for our uses. We need to adjust the pressure to 10-30 psi, which would not read at all accurately on a 400 psi gauge. You can use a lower pressure gauge, but then you stand a very good chance of overpresssuring it and ruining it.

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
the matheson 3810 is a 100psi regulator. it came with a 200psi gauge.

the 3816 has a 400psi gauge.

(google matheson 3810 and look for the pdf)

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
After I finish with the regulator I will likely piece together a post body kit consisting of a Clippard Mouse solenoid and a Swagelok metering valve. I would appreciate some input on this and the best method of constructing that setup.
Bettatail has already made some post bodies using these parts. Send him a pm. I bet he'll help you out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the matheson 3810 is a 100psi regulator. it came with a 200psi gauge.

the 3816 has a 400psi gauge.

(google matheson 3810 and look for the pdf)
Well I have already checked out the pdf info and supposedly the one I am to receive is a 3818 which came with a 0-400 gauge. That is because off the top of my head I think the operating pressure is from 15-350 or so. However the serial code only states 3810, I can't tell if thats a part of the series of 3810 or if its for the individual model. That being said it might be wise to get a smaller range so it will be easier to measure pressure. I was either thinking getting a 0-200 for nearly all applications (other than this hobby alone) or a 0-100 because it is easier to obtain. I would appreciate some help on the post body setup and would like to do all stainless but may have to wait a little while before I can purchase.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Any thoughts on whether the tag that says 3810-580 is for the specific model number or just the series it is in?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's what I was asking, thank you. The seller I bought it from called it a 3818 but the regulator tag said 3810-580 which I thought that indicated the indivudal model. That is honestly more preferable because the 3810 has a more useable range for planted tanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts