The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys... i saw a previous post on here and how to build a terrace/hill from a mesh material. my question is if anyone has ever tried to use acrylic, or plexiglass to build something like that.

im trying to make something thats going to be fairly tall, about 6-7" and pretty longm maybe 12-16". i also want to add some plants to the top, but i dont know if the mesh is going to be able to hold everything up. any thoughts or ideas?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
If you have a 4" angular grinder you can use a stone cutting blade and fashion it from slices of bricks, tiles or stone and aquarium silicone. Make a cave with a pot on top.

You could also use a ceramic bowl and silicone small stones on its body and make legs to raise it, or form a cave under it.

Glacial rivers have lots of rounded boulders in their pan. I picked up a few and gouged out a hole with my angular grinder and finished the cave door with hammer and chisel. If you fashion two such and silicone them with one stone as cave and the other on the top as your pot.

You can take it easy and do the above with two ceramic bowls and camouflage them with siliconed pebbles.

Endless options!

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
why not use foam?
people use foam for 3d backgrounds,
so it should be useful for terracing.
you can silicone glue and paint the
sides so the foam is out of sight,
and foam can easily support the
weight of top gravel and plants.
personally, I would only terrace
using lava, lace, or feller stone,
but they may not give you the
effect you are looking for.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys... i really like the idea with the ceramic bowl... i think that will work very well for what i want, and i know just how to camoflauge it.

thank you again for your help...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.