The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm going to be getting 6 new Boesemani Rainbowfish directly from the breeder. I asked what water parameters he bred the fish in, and he said they were bred in a ph of 6.8, tds of 180ppm.

This is very different from the well water they're going to be living in. I don't know the tds, but my well has a KH of 8, GH of 11, and ph of 7.8.

From the numbers he gave, with a ph of 6.8 I'm guessing he has very soft water (like 1-2 kh).

I don't have an RO system, so I can't recreate his water without buying a ton of distilled water from the grocery store. Is it really important that I match the water they're coming from at first, and slowly transition them while they are in quarantine? Or can I just do my normal drop and plop that I do with shipped fish?

Ps. This is also very telling about how adaptable fish are. Boesemani are normally from hard, alkaline water with a ph of 7.5-8. The fact that these were bred in very soft, acidic water is frankly pretty amazing.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
System went down last night, so my post never made it through.

You can buy RODI water from a LFS more cheaply than distilled water from a grocery store.

If I were you, I'd just go ahead and setup the quarantine tank matching the original parameters, and then slowly bring it up to your parameters over the length of quarantine. I'd drop and plop the fish into the tank matching their original parameters.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.