The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm just wondering how important it is to match Kh to Gh?
Right now I have a Kh of 11dh and a Gh of 2dh. I would have to add about 12 tablespoons of Gh booster to my 75 gallon tank on my weekly water change to match my kh, that seems like alot. Wonder if this is really necessary or if just raising my Gh by 3 dh is enough?
I hope I'm making sense and not just talking nonsense:icon_neut
Thanks,
Newbie123

·
Registered
132 Posts
It is not important at all to match GH to KH. You only need to boost GH to the point that you have enough magnesium & calcium to support your plants & animals to whatever level they need. Depends on what you specifically have and what your goals are.

KH and GH are completely independent things.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
In the wild water gets its Ca and Mg (we measure as GH) and its carbonates (we measure as KH) mostly from limestone and related rock. Limestone and related materials are calcium and magnesium carbonates and bicarbonates with minor additives, other minerals.

Most natural water has GH and KH sort of similar, though there are certainly variations!

Fish evolved to handle that sort of water.
If the GH is low, then the KH is almost always low, and the pH generally follows the KH, though there are other things that may control the pH.
Soft water fish generally thrive in water that is neutral to acidic pH.
If the GH is high, then the KH is almost always high, and the pH generally follows the KH, and is in the alkaline side of neutral.
Hard water fish generally thrive in water that is alkaline.

This is not a hard and fast rule, just a generality.

Look up the information about the natural waters your fish came from and see what are the optimum values, and the range of values. As long as the fish are kept in the right range of values they ought to do well.

What kind of fish are you keeping?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have quite a variety. Lets see I have a couple angels, a bunch of white clouds, 6 SAE, guppies, and a few types of tetras. They all seem ok, I rarely loose a fish.
Do you think my water is ok for my species of fish? My ph is around 7.7 when lights turn on.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Your KH and GH are fine for your fish. I wouldn't worry about altering KH at all. Adding GH booster for plant growth is a good idea. However, KH...I actually ignore this unless it's an invertebrate tank. Even then, GH seems more important.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.