The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
What is happening is that when the unit is on it creates a suction and causes it to seal better than when you turn it off and the pressure is not there. What you need to do is to replace the outer seal of the unit.

There was a post a while ago where someone used screen window tubing (thats what Im calling it) to reseal their xp3 and said it worked fine. You may also want to take it out and get some food grade silicone grease and just reseat it.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I've used vaseline when I had a leak from the o rings. It's worked great ever since. I have heard that the vaseline can degrade the rubber but, I haven't seen that yet. Since I have spare seal kit that I bought from planetrena.com, I'm not worried If it does degrade the rubber.

Since your gasket is already leaking, it might not hurt to try the vaseline since you probably have that on hand anyway. Just order a replacement in the mean time.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
I thought the window screen spline was being used as a replacement for the inner impeller housing seal and not the main can-to-lid seal. The inner seal is nowhere near as critical.

SteveU

·
Super Moderator
11,971 Posts
What is happening is that when the unit is on it creates a suction and causes it to seal better than when you turn it off and the pressure is not there. What you need to do is to replace the outer seal of the unit.
+1 to this explanation. The same problem occurs with my Eheim 2028, and I've been too lazy to go out and buy a new O-ring (I just sit my filter in a bucket until the suction causes the O-ring to seal itself...)

·
Registered
701 Posts
I think this problem is common with several canister filters. My Fluval 404 did the same thing although no fix even completely stopped the problem. I did find out that one good shot from a sledgehammer was a great solution!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hey is this kind of power cord leak or the leak explained here common on the Rena series? I'm getting ready to buy an XP2 and hadn't heard about these leaks. (Sorry to hijack)

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Hey is this kind of power cord leak or the leak explained here common on the Rena series? I'm getting ready to buy an XP2 and hadn't heard about these leaks. (Sorry to hijack)
I had water leak out from the power cord hole once. It actually was leaking past the o rings and dripping out of the power cord whole. I put vaseline on the o rings and the leak was gone. Of course, I had to pour out any remaining water out of the power cord hole. Afterwards I ordered replacment o rings but never had to use them. The vaseline did the trick. Yeah mine is an XP2 that I bought in 2005 and it has worked well for me.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Maybe I should explain further because water leaking out from the power cord hole sounds serious. The motor head has a cover on top held in place by 4 stainless steel screws. The power cord is routed under this cover through a hole to the outside. The power cord's other end goes into the motor that is completely sealed in solid epoxy so, no worries about water exposure. The filter's quick connect goes through the top cover and into the water channels. The quick connect has the o rings so if the water leaks past the o rings, it will wind up under the top lid. When area under the lid fills up, it will pour out of the power cord hole to the outside. It's just a matter of keeping the o rings clean plyable and you won't have leaking problems. Again, the motor is completely encased in epoxy so safety issues are accounted for. Water damage can be an issue but, that's with any filter. You just have to keep up with the usual maintenance.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Thanks hbosman. The 'power cord leak' did sound rather dangerous. I'm a bit reassured now. I just didn't want to come home to 46g on my floor :) since this is my first canister I'm being tentative with the purchase. Anyway, thank you you've convinced me on the XP2 (which I found for $105 as well so I am excited!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts