The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My planted tank-4 feet by 2 feet by 2 feet has met with its major tragedy.

Just to give you a back ground. Till August 9th I had 9 healthy Black neons and 21 healthy cardinals in my planted tank .
On August 9th I introduced another 10 juvenile cardinals.

Now 7 days later, I am left with only 3 black neons and 10 Cardinals.

6 Bla tck neons and 21 cardinals have died.

Out of the 10 which are present 5 are the juveniles which I recently got.

There seems to be no visible sign of disease in any of them. I am wondering what could be the reason from among these:
1. Disease introduced by newcomers
2. Build up of nitrate or increased bioload.
3. Other factor.

I clean my tank once every week and sometimes skip a week- remove 15 to 30% of the water during water changes.

Clean my canister filter once every 1 or 2 months. This time I think it may have been a bit over 2 months.

Please help me. I am very distressed:frown::frown:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You mean 7 days is too short for me to introduce new fish without quarantining or 7 days is too short a time for such a deadly disease to spread.
Since I get this stock from a trusted source, I did not bother with a separate quarantine tank.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I had the same problem with my 29 gallon aquarium my stock was less than yours 7 bloodfins, 10 neon tetra, 5 otocinclus catfish, and one powder blue dwarf gourmai AKA THE SICKNESS. I didn't do proper research on the dwarf gourmai added him to the tank without quarantine and what ever he had wiped out the whole tank. Everything but 4 neon tetra it was fast too would you believe the dwarf gourmai was the last fish to go it was something internal. After the first fall out other fish would sit at the top of the tank behind the filter wasting away. I tried different meds, water changes, and quarantine still failed them all(dramatic). Long story short quarantine everything for as long as possible I've heard a couple of weeks but I go with a least a month. You can make a Q-Tank with a rubbermaid I would invest in one IMHO. Search this forum for a DIY quarantine tank. Sorry for your loss I been there so I can relate.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I had the same problem with my 29 gallon aquarium my stock was less than yours 7 bloodfins, 10 neon tetra, 5 otocinclus catfish, and one powder blue dwarf gourmai AKA THE SICKNESS. I didn't do proper research on the dwarf gourmai added him to the tank without quarantine and what ever he had wiped out the whole tank. Everything but 4 neon tetra it was fast too would you believe the dwarf gourmai was the last fish to go it was something internal. After the first fall out other fish would sit at the top of the tank behind the filter wasting away. I tried different meds, water changes, and quarantine still failed them all(dramatic). Long story short quarantine everything for as long as possible I've heard a couple of weeks but I go with a least a month. You can make a Q-Tank with a rubbermaid I would invest in one IMHO. Search this forum for a DIY quarantine tank. Sorry for your loss I been there so I can relate.
Your gourami probably had fish tb. I don't know that for sure, but I have read that a lot of them do.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How was the flow with the canister? Tank fully cycled? The increased bioload with minimal flow could have resulted in a mini cycle.
I don't have a very high end Filter like Eheim. I have got one of the Dolphin brand C-1300. Two to three of the holes in the outlet pipe were a bit clogged so , perhaps the flow was reduced from full capacity by about 20 to 30%. This never occurred to me.

I also have 4 Pearl Gouramis and 2 bristle noses which seem unaffected (touchwood) so are they a bit more resistant to such mini cycles?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes! I think I should invest in a Quarantine tank. Since everything was going very smoothly, i never thought of getting one. The Cardinals looked so good.

I also had a heavy Java moss cover on my drift wood which seemed to have trapped a lot of dirt. Now I have removed the entire mass.

Thank you for empathizing.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What are your water parameters? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate?

When you say you cleaned your filter, exactly what do you mean? Did you replace the media or just rinse it or what?
We don't get these kits easily in India. The next time I see it, I will probably get one.

When I meant I cleaned my filter, I rinse it. I replace the flossy media - the one at the bottom most chamber,once every 6 months . I don't rinse the porous stones or the bio filter plastic material with a high surface are-forgot its name for now.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Tank is 20 months old. It is not a new tank. Everything was almost perfect till now. Yes- about 6 fishes or so have died in the course of these 20 months -roughly one every 3-4 months but so many fishes at one go has never happened.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.