The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently added pressurized CO2 to my 20 long dirt tank. I'd previously been running DIY yeast CO2 and was able to sustain near the same color as I have been with the new pressurized system.

Shortly after adding the pressurized system my MTS population suffered a massive die off. 99% of them have fallen from the glass or tumbled over, receded into their shells, and best as I can tell, died. There are now many empty shells sitting on my substrate.

Odd thing to me is... my betta, nerites, rasboras, pygmy cories and amanos are all fine... Has anyone else ran into this before?

I kept up on tank maintenance and water changes, so there should not have been any large build up of nitrates or other ferts. I hadn't added anything else new...

Just seems odd.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
CO2 is hard on all snails. I couldn't keep any alive, despite having liquid rock water.

It eats at shells, etc. I am sure your pressurized co2 system is at a much higher level than you think it is.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sure it's at the same level as my DIY was.

I use some 1.7 dkh reference solution that I bought from Hoppy. Always have. When I had DIY it would sit yellow with a hint of green. When I installed the pressurized CO2 I brought it up VERY slowly. blue/green, emerald, bright, yellowish green, and about a week later I'd got it about to where I always had it.

Perhaps it was the raise in PH?

I'm intending to move my nerites back to my less intense 10g soon. Poor guys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.