The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I swapped substrates a bit more than 3 weeks ago. I went through a quick diatom period and now I'm being hit with a massive GDA outbreak. Is there anything I can do to stop it quickly or will I just need to wait it out?

I switched to Landen Soil and by weeks end, all my nutrients are mostly undetectable. I was double dosing PO4 for a while but have backed down on it. I was dosing about 17ppm per week. I have an established filter on the tank but I'm unable to get an accurate degassed pH. It keeps testing the same as my peak CO2 pH, which is about 4.85 (active soil?) From a visual reference, the CO2 shouldn't be lacking too much. Hopefully, at some point, I can get a degassed pH that truly represents what it should be.

Front loading:
18ppm NO3
8ppm PO4
30ppm K
.62ppm Fe (proxy) (Daily dosing) .62/7

Pictures are just 2 days apart.

Thank you for any insight,
Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
I was wondering how the switch to Landen was going for you....re. the GDA I'd assume the tank is still setting up/cycling and increase water changes and perhaps add a UV sterilizer

Algae aside what are your thoughts on the active soil so far?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was wondering how the switch to Landen was going for you....re. the GDA I'd assume the tank is still setting up/cycling and increase water changes and perhaps add a UV sterilizer

Algae aside what are your thoughts on the active soil so far?
Things are going well, all things considered. The plants are growing well, the ammonia has gone and it's really nice to plant in.
I didn't even think to run a UV on it. I will get those going today.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I swapped substrates a bit more than 3 weeks ago. I went through a quick diatom period and now I'm being hit with a massive GDA outbreak. Is there anything I can do to stop it quickly or will I just need to wait it out?

I switched to Landen Soil and by weeks end, all my nutrients are mostly undetectable. I was double dosing PO4 for a while but have backed down on it. I was dosing about 17ppm per week. I have an established filter on the tank but I'm unable to get an accurate degassed pH. It keeps testing the same as my peak CO2 pH, which is about 4.85 (active soil?) From a visual reference, the CO2 shouldn't be lacking too much. Hopefully, at some point, I can get a degassed pH that truly represents what it should be.

Front loading:
18ppm NO3
8ppm PO4
30ppm K
.62ppm Fe (proxy) (Daily dosing) .62/7

Pictures are just 2 days apart.

Thank you for any insight,
Mike
Are your plants using that much phosphate and nitrate? What size tank? How large and often are water changes.

I never saw much uptake on phosphate and don't dose much. 3 to 5 ppm a week in my high light tank.
Maybe with the new sub the plants are using the nutrients in the soil more?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are your plants using that much phosphate and nitrate? What size tank? How large and often are water changes.

I never saw much uptake on phosphate and don't dose much. 3 to 5 ppm a week in my high light tank.
Maybe with the new sub the plants are using the nutrients in the soil more?
I'd imagine it's the substrate sucking it up. It's a 40 breeder and I'm doing a 80% water change weekly. I'm going to start an additional change today. So that will be 2 80% changes a week until this goes away. It's crazy for sure.

·
Captain
75g, 40g, 20g
3,846 Posts
My first question was gonna be about your water changes - but I just noticed you just covered that. Given your plant density, I would suggest maybe 12ppm NO3 at each water change (Sunday and mid week?). Also, try doing more filter maintenance. For my 75g tank I noticed an improvement in GDA when I realized my biomedia had not been rinsed in awhile (think it was 6 months +). Anything you can do to lower detris / organic waste helps.

·
Captain
75g, 40g, 20g
3,846 Posts
Would there be any reason to temporarily stop front loading and go back to 3xMacros with off days Micros?
I would say no. I have 2 tanks - a 40g cube and a standard 75g. Both heavily planted. Both get the same RO water. Both get basically the same amount of macros front loaded. Both get the same micro mix on the same days.
The 40g has a low bio load (fish). The 75g has a high bio load. I clean the 40g filter maybe monthly. I clean the 75g filter weekly.
The 40g is crystal clear with almost no noticeable algae.
The 75g has been battling various levels of GDA & GSA for years.
Someday maybe both tanks will be perfect (LOL)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would say no. I have 2 tanks - a 40g cube and a standard 75g. Both heavily planted. Both get the same RO water. Both get basically the same amount of macros front loaded. Both get the same micro mix on the same days.
The 40g has a low bio load (fish). The 75g has a high bio load. I clean the 40g filter maybe monthly. I clean the 75g filter weekly.
Someday maybe both tanks will be perfect (LOL)
Thank you, filter cleanings incoming! I will say the filter was nasty after the substrate switch, but I will do cleaning more frequently on this tank. Every tank is different? Right?
By the way, your 75 Journal was a great source of information for my own 75 gallon. Did you take it down?

Off topic,
My 75 results go to both @Greggz and you. I was able to cheat my way into a decent looking tank, absolutely knowing nothing, just by reading through these journals was invaluable. Of course there were others, but yours and his just "clicked".

My 75 is in no way a gorgeous scape, but the over health was not possible without you guys. So, thank you! Okay, enough cheese, I just want you guys to keeps posting what you do!!!!
Here's what you did!
Flower Plant Plant community Purple Terrestrial plant

·
Captain
75g, 40g, 20g
3,846 Posts
My 75 is still up and running. I have a new source of organic chaos that I am looking into at the moment - wood hardscape. I pulled both of them out yesterday and they were pretty nasty. Will see if there is an
improvement in tank conditions this Sunday. And yes, every tank is different - even if they are only separated by 2-3" LOL.
Speaking of filter cleaning... there is always a lot of talk about tank maintenance but I think sometimes filter maintenance gets forgotten (or maybe it's just my tunnel vision).
Anyway, your tank is looking pretty good - plants sure look healthy enough!
And just for some reference - an overall of the current setup.
Plant Picture frame Cabinetry Building Wood

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
Hey Linn I think you might have answered your own question above.....bio load makes a big difference.

Wow you are really getting somewhere now!

Tank is looking great. Nice mix of healthy looking plants and well presented.

Keep up the good work and looking forward to seeing where it goes from here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts