The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I'm new to posting to this site but I have been a lurker for a while. I've had a 10g planted tank up for over a year now. Currently it has two dwarf puffers and 3 otos. I couldn't get my plants to thrive at all. A few died off but most just don't seem to grow at all. About a year ago I added a few watts to the lighting, I now have 2-13w compact flourescents in the tank. Recently I had an outbreak of string algae (?). I got some excel and it seemed to help. So I've continued to dose it daily and add the larger dose and a dose of flourish at water changes weekly. Water changes are usually about 75% with tap water. My tap water is pretty hard. My water parameters have always stayed steady at ammonia 0, nitrites 0, and nitrates 5. Temp is right around 78-80. I have fluorite as my substrate, which was added recently. No Co2. I have the lighting on for 8 hours daily. I currently have a large red amazon sword, small amazon sword, two jave ferns on driftwood, wisteria, crypt and two java moss balls. I can't seem to get the algae under control and I also don't know exactly what kind it is. I believe the algae is choking out my plants at this point. Anyone have any suggestions to get this under control. Thank you in advance. :help:

Sorry about the photos. Didn't realize they were upside down.

Attachments

·
Registered
453 Posts
I tripled my excel doseage and it worked wonders...I asked on here and the consensus is it is safe to even 5x the dose daily

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More plants to help out compete the algae will help as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts