The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, so I recently started a DSM tank in my 12 G L. It's my first time doing a set up like this so I think I've run into some hiccups. Right now, I have some Marsilea Minuta, Pearl Weed, and Hydrocotyle sp. Japan emersed planted. The Pearl Weed and Hydro were bought from the LFS already submersed while the Marsilea came in a little cup.

Right now, the Marsilea has started browning and turning black. I trimmed most of it off this morning, but when I went to check on it tonight, they seem to have browned more. The pearl weed and Hydro seems to have started browning very slightly, but I'm wondering if thats just from going submersed --> emersed. They're still very green. I'm more worried about the Marsilea.

I wonder if my lights are too strong or if my substrate is too wet. I have the Finnex Planted + 24/7 CC over my tank. Have been trying to change the intensity but it doesn't seem to be saving. Help would be much appreciated! Thank you!

IMG_7183.jpg

IMG_7185.jpg

IMG_7184.jpg

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Hmm, I've never had marselia not want to grow emersed. I can even grow it in my yard like a weed. How is the humidity?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, I've never had marselia not want to grow emersed. I can even grow it in my yard like a weed. How is the humidity?
Living in SoCal, there's not much humidity to begin with :// I haven't been getting much condensation in the tank; only a few droplets towards the substrate. I've kept the cling on all day and the temp seems to stay around 20 degrees Celsius. I don't know how else to raise the humidity.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Hmm hard to say. It does look like there might be enough humidity, only time will tell. Marselia is tough as nails though, and it will probably survive, even if it doesn't thrive. You still might want a little backup of it submerged in another tank

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm hard to say. It does look like there might be enough humidity, only time will tell. Marselia is tough as nails though, and it will probably survive, even if it doesn't thrive. You still might want a little backup of it submerged in another tank
Alrighty. I'll move some to my 20G and see how it does. I'll keep an eye on it for now. I think I saw some new growth today? Or they might have been there the whole time and I missed it. But, thank you for your advice :)) I'll keep you posted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts