The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some Mars. Quad (submersed form) and planted it just under 2 weeks ago (12/20/11) -separated nodes and planted with healthy roots and all

...every where says it needs an adjustment period before it really takes hold and starts to "take off" (obviously a slow grower, but Im tired of the weekly maintenance I had with glosso)

how long should it take before I start to see new, healthy growth?

I have a:
-20gal Long
-DIY 2-T5NO 24" bulbs suspended ~6" over tank
-MGOCPM capped with Floramax substrate
-modified EI dosing schedule (only dose 1x a week instead of 3x since its a slow grower)
-5# CO2 via a RG style reactor (...a darker green instead of lime because again, slow grower from this green :confused1: to this :flick:)
-9 Tiger Barbs
-good circulation and temps ~80d F

when I received it, it was in great health
...after I planted it, it looks like its doing a slow die off

having the same problem with an amazon sword plant as well...when I took out the glosso, I AGGRESSIVELY trimmed all the leaves off down to the stalk (it overwhelmed my tank, but i like that...just wanted some light for my m. quad)
...and it hasnt put out a new leaf in 2 wks either...but i did add a root tab to it yesterday during WC so maybe thatll help

I could grow just about anything with my set up before (Ive done dwarf sag, glosso, hc, and DHG)...and now that I have an "easy" plant, its not working for me :confused1:

uprooting a carpet of glosso did start an ammonia spike and some algae...but Im patient enough for it to go away (and it has now started going the other direction)

help?

·
Registered
395 Posts
any pics of them inside the tank? when i first started growing them they didnt grow for a long time but now even when i trim and replant them they started growing the next day, which lead me to believe that they strongly adapt themself to their eviroment.

·
Registered
395 Posts
isnt emersed growth almost a foot tall?

if this doesnt work, i would buy seeds next time
emerse grow very tall but revert back to its imerge form as long as the rhizomes are still alive. these are annual ferns that required special growing patterns if growing from seeds, the fact that these grew in my friend ank outdoor in kitty litter and sand makes me believe that you are fine.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
I bought some emersed. I cut off all stems, leaving about 1.5-2 inches of stems. Chopped off excess roots too.

It's been in my 10G tank for 2 days now and it's already sending a few shoots. It's a low tech dirt tank. I didn't know it was so sensitive :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts