The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"L'arbre Sous L'eau"​
"Tree Under Water"​

Don't you just love how french words roll off the tongue and seem so elouquent if you don't know what they mean.

Well, this is a journal I wanted to start for a 10 gallon tank I re-did over the weekend. It is not high tech, no special fish, not trying to have it win any contest, no fancy CO2 equipment, no high tech lighting but just a tank to house my guppies and some other plants I have that I didn't want to get rid of or wouldn't fit in my 90 gallon. Here are some specs...

Tank: 10 gallon
Filter: Whisper 20 Power Filter, with a (1) mesh bag of purigen & bio-foam filter pad
Lighting: Don't fall out of your seat! - (2) Single Fluorescent 15watt, 6700K, Life-Glo2 bulbs.
Heater: Visa-Therm in-tank
Substrate: A mix of black gravel, flourite and laterite. Also I put on the bottom, Laguna Peat Granules.
Dosing: I am dosing 2.5ml of excel daily, and then 1/2 the EI Method dose of a 20gal tank.
Flora: Rotala Rotundafolia, Limnophila Aromatica, Limnophila SP Mini, Creeping Jenny, Rotala Mac. Green, Elatine Triandra, Echinodorus tenellus, Echinodorus 'Kleiner Bar', Blyxa Japonica
Fauna: Fancy Guppies, (Coming Soon - Julii Cories, Otos, and some nerite snails)

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
a whisper filter?
come on, you know better then a hanging-in-the-tank filter.

but the flora sound interesting. im curious how you arranged it.
I know, I know...I knew I would get a comment on my filter choice. I would like to get a Rapid Canister Filter or a cheap fluval filter but with the money situation right now that is all I have. Told you this was no high tech tank!
Pics will loaded tonight. Keep you all in suspense.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dont you have a filter left over from one of your other tanks?
you could restrict the flow or something. its better then putting that useless **** in and having it take up 1/3 of the tank.
I have a fluval 304 left over.....wait had a thought of how I could plumb it. Will have to get back to you on that. You got my mind going. Thx man!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thx O! Actually it has been about 3 weeks but the Elatine and the Chain Sword took off. I am really happy with the tropica swords in the front as well. They hadn't been doing real well but since I started this tank and put them in it, they have down well.

This tank has no CO2 going into it except for 2.5ml of excel each night.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Another good looking setup, DEW!
Always looking clean and healthy, with different styles of care.:proud:
How many displays are you up to these days?
md

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another good looking setup, DEW!
Always looking clean and healthy, with different styles of care.:proud:
How many displays are you up to these days?
md
Thx!

I have 3 at the moment, my 90 gal tank, this 10 gal tank, and in the process of finishing the 15 gal tank. I also setup a 10 gal minerialized grow out tank for plants that I trimmed and are awaiting shipment or plants that I am trying to grow out for sale or to use in my other tanks.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
It seems lately that people have been posting a lot of threads with very nice 10-gallon setups.

I like the fish choice.

Those plants must have grown in some more. Do you have an updated picture?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Awesome tank man! I love it! What is the foreground plant on the right there? The whole tank just looks very natural already. I can tell this will be a gem in time like all of your tanks!

I think the whisper filter is fine, but if you want to hush the cuts people are throwing out, Dr. Fosters and Smith has XP1's for $60 if you change the prefix on the product code from CD to CK (or other way around). They are great on a 10 gallon.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It seems lately that people have been posting a lot of threads with very nice 10-gallon setups.

I like the fish choice.

Those plants must have grown in some more. Do you have an updated picture?
I have also noticed some very nice 10 gal tanks as well. This tank has been so easy to care for and have really enjoyed it. As far as an updated pic, I will post one this weekend. The plants have filled in some but not a whole lot. The plants really grow at a nice slow pace.

Awesome tank man! I love it! What is the foreground plant on the right there? The whole tank just looks very natural already. I can tell this will be a gem in time like all of your tanks!

I think the whisper filter is fine, but if you want to hush the cuts people are throwing out, Dr. Fosters and Smith has XP1's for $60 if you change the prefix on the product code from CD to CK (or other way around). They are great on a 10 gallon.
I have to say that the HOB filter has been just fine with this setup. I have not noticed any negitive effect with the plants. To answer your question about the foreground plant.......surprise..Elatine Triandra. I have really fallen in love with this stuff. It just seems to grow great in any of my tanks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts