The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This will be my 1st Riparium and I want to first say a big thx to Hydrophyte for all his help, answers to my questions (which I know I will have plenty more) and supplying me with plants and then purchasing the Planters and Trellis from his Website Store "Riparium Supply". (You can click his banner in my sig to go to his store)

I will be updating later with pics of the stand (nothing to write home about) and tank 20 gal. I have wanted to setup one of these Ripariums for quite some time so here we goooooooo.......!

Stay Tuned!

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
It is always exciting to see someone start up a new riparium, just to look for new ideas, if nothing else. You are really going to enjoy this, I'm sure.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Did some work on the stand tonight and thought I would post some updated pics od where I stand at the moment

The Tank..

The Stand..(I know it is nothing fancy but it works)

The stand had a 1/2" piece of plywood on the top and bottom and was pretty beat up so I removed those...

....and cut some 3/4" pieces tonight out of nicer plywood that I had...

This weekend I am going to sand the stand down and apply some new coats of varnish and polyurethane. This ought to dress up the stand alittle more then it is now.

Specs...

Tank: 20 Gallon, 24"x12"x16"
Filtration: Fluval 304 filter
Heater: Stealth 50watt
Lighting: Double Strip Light with (2) 15 watt, 6700K Life Glo-2 Bulbs
Substrate: Mixture of Flourite and Gravel

Fauna: Looking at using (4) German Blue Rams and (2) German Gold Rams

Flora (Above water):
Acorus gramineus 'Ogon'
Acorus gramineus 'Omogo'
Spathiphyllum 'Petite'
Spathiphyllum sp.
Pilea cardierei
Pilea 'Silver Tree'
Alocasia amazonica 'Polly'
Echinodorus cordifolius
Xanthosoma 'Dwarf Green'

Flora (Below Water):
Tropica Swords
and a couple others I can't remember the names of at the moment

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Last night I de-rimmed the 20 gal tank. (Thx again to Hydrophyte for his helpful thread about De-rimming a Tank. Made it so easy to do.)

I took my block plane and shaved off the plastic down to the glass..

...then I took a utility knife and put between the glass and the plastic and removed the pieces...

without rim...

I then spent some time getting the silicone off the glass and also took a sharpening stone to the top edges of the glass to create a small bevel so I won't get cut. I also scraped the black off the back of the tank and will repaint it. This is where the tank stands as of right now. It needs a good cleaning and I am hoping to get the water stains off the glass. If anyone has any good method, please let me know.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
Hey I'm glad that that de-rimming method worked out. You might consider repairing the silicone in the top corners to get stronger and better-looking seams.

This setup might end up similar to what I have in my 20, but yours will look better with that rimless tank.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool project!
CLR and a sponge will remove the stains in no time. Careful around the silicone and rinse well!
What is CLR?

Hey I'm glad that that de-rimming method worked out. You might consider repairing the silicone in the top corners to get stronger and better-looking seams.

This setup might end up similar to what I have in my 20, but yours will look better with that rimless tank.
Thx for the tip. I am planning on removing all the silicone down the sides and redoing them but I want to clean the tank up first. Whoever did the siliconing on this tank did a very messy job.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
That stuff works like a CHARM!!! On just about everything. I had some tarnished silverware that I threw in a small bucket filled with CLR, and it was jewelry-grade silver less than 30 seconds later!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Before I went off to a New Years Eve Party, I tried to clean up the tank. I stopped by my local Dollar general on my way home from work and picked up some CLR, gloves and sponges. After taking the dog out, I started in and after 2 times of scrubbing and also using a razor blade, using CLR full strength and letting it set, the water line spots will not come off! :(

The tank is cleaner, but there are waterline spots at the top. Here are some pics...

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Had a small setback last night. After letting the silicone set for 48 hours it was time for a fill test. It FAILED! I had a couple small minor leaks that I needed to repair. They where all on the same side so I removed the silicone from that side and re-did it. I will wait 48 hours and try again to fill it. My fear is that where I cut the silicone on the bottom, water will get thru this cut point. If so, I will have to rip out all the silicone and reseal the whole thing. Time will tell!

·
Registered
696 Posts
That stuff works like a CHARM!!! On just about everything. I had some tarnished silverware that I threw in a small bucket filled with CLR, and it was jewelry-grade silver less than 30 seconds later!
Was the only cleaner that successfully took coraline algae off of my outflow boxes. It also cleans algae off of a plastic tree trunk decoration I have in my cichlid tank. Love the stuff!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I need to take a step back. I realized I forgot to update that I resealed that tank. On New Years Morning, I removed the old silicone from the corners (left the silicone on the bottom), prep the tank and resealed it. Here are some pics.

Silicone removed

New Silicone

After I removed the silicone from the corners, I took it to the bathtub to clean it and in the process the left panel broke loose from the front and back panels. I think this is what caused the minor leaks I had since they came from that side. I am hoping that by removing the silicone from that side and redoing it, that I will not have any more leaks.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts