The Planted Tank Forum banner
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I see you are using expanded clay like Aqua Aurora. And, how is the Maranthera doing? I love that plant!
Oh Maranta (prayer plant)... just saw the name on your Riparium plants list! Woo-hoo! thread.

The one I had in the planter had no roots, it was a cut-off from my 15 gal tank. so it died. I don't know how to multiply those. But anyway, the one in my 15 gal which is in a shower caddy does fine. It had flowers at one point.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
--African violet is gone. It was just falling apart.
--Moved the Rumex sangioneus, it's having issues.
--Equisetum scirpoides disappearing slowly.
--Added aluminum plants
--Calla Lilies black doing pretty well so far.
--Had to cut the white Calla lily, it was too tall and falling on it's own weight. Seem to grow back.
--Prayer plants gone too. Tried it in 2 tanks, no success. The variety I had wasn't the good one. I hear AquaAurora had same problem. But she told me which one to get. I am on the hunt.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Happy hunting! Your tank looks lush, now the planter has to catch up ;)

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Happy hunting! Your tank looks lush, now the planter has to catch up ;)
Made a big trim few days ago without really looking WTH I was doing. Ended up with a big hole in the middle. But the Hygrophila augustifolia were really invading. Plus I realised I removed most of the Rotala rotundifolia.

Yeah, the planter is rather denuded. It should get there... I hope :).

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
I see you are using expanded clay like Aqua Aurora. And, how is the Maranthera doing? I love that plant!
I bought some of that clay to try it out. Not sure if it's the same stuff. Mine floats, that's kind of odd.
I got PlantIt! expanding clay media from amqazon, but youcan also buy hydrton theres nothing really so expanded clay media,c an't go wrong.

I soak mine in hot tap water for a bit to get it to sink and get off dust before use, not had issues with floating, if one of the clay balls gets out of the baskets it sinks to the bottom of the tank.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I got PlantIt! expanding clay media from amqazon, but youcan also buy hydrton theres nothing really so expanded clay media,c an't go wrong.

I soak mine in hot tap water for a bit to get it to sink and get off dust before use, not had issues with floating, if one of the clay balls gets out of the baskets it sinks to the bottom of the tank.
I got Liaflor clay pellets. A 50 liters bag from local store. Should last a lifetime LOL. I saw some pellets going AWOL and finally sunk.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Over the w-end I dismantled the river :( . It's annoying because the tank is against a window and plants grow toward it. Also I always found the river too small.

So I am in the process of setting up small planters watered through a wick as per my 20 Gal Alternative Aquarium. It will be set up in such a way that I will be able to flip the planters around once in a while. There will be up to five planters.

One day I will have a real river :)

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
It's too bad this wasn't working for you. Hope the wick watering system works better!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
6 planters wick watered.

Plants are starting to grow again. Many plants have been changed. This new setup is so far quite interesting. There is a total of 6 planters. Each has a wick that brings water from the tank to the bottom of the container. Planters can be moved around and most importantly rotated to adjust the growth since the tank is by a large window. Soil is just mix of top soil, clay, pond soil.

3 planters on the left: The bushy one on the right is thyme. The center planter has emersed aquatic plants.

Althernanthera reinekii, Ludwigia repens and a still very small Glossostigma elatinoide

3 planters on the right. The first planter has emersed aquatic plants.

Bacopa caroliniana, a very small Hygrophila augustifolia on top near center of the picture, and Rotala rotundifolia

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Cool, it doubles as an emersed grow-op. Any issues at all keeping the humidity up for these guys? Do you cover the tubs or are they happy with no cover?

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
:) @Daisy_Mae,
Initially I covered the containers until "terrestrial" leave grew. And that was for a week long I suppose. The soil stays very wet.

Also, looking closely inside the planters, I can see moss growing. That should be very interesting if that turns out to grow well.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Ahh, that's not bad at all, only one week covered. Enjoy!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I love this idea so much! I want to try it but maybe with a canister of its own. I'm not handy enough to do it the way you have.

Hopefully I can find some kinda of plastic tub to use.

What made you get rid of it?
You love the idea of the river or the planters?
Anyway I got rid of it because its to narrow. About 5 inches it was I think. It shoud be at least 12 inches so you can have a nice little stream and a small bank on one side for the plants. Eventually I will make one. I have a draft in my head lol.

Not sure what you mean by "with a canister of its own".

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
169 Posts
You love the idea of the river or the planters?
Anyway I got rid of it because its to narrow. About 5 inches it was I think. It shoud be at least 12 inches so you can have a nice little stream and a small bank on one side for the plants. Eventually I will make one. I have a draft in my head lol.

Not sure what you mean by "with a canister of its own".

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk
the river, well the planters too. I've fallen in love with this style of thing lately. that sounds amazing!

oh, i wasnt very specific. i was thinking of trying to find a trough or something larger and having it self container with a canister for flow.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
i was thinking of trying to find a trough or something larger and having it self container with a canister for flow.
Have you looked at My Planter Above Tank thread on my signature? Look at around post #19. That's fairly simple, I feed my canister output right into it.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts