The Planted Tank Forum banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Nice!

I always had the same type of concept but with a deeper plexi/acrylic box, mounted high on the wall next to the tank, with fish, rocks and some sort of wet/dry rhizome plants! Maybe some LED lights along it...

But Ive never done it... LOL

Awesome to see something so close and functioning! Inspiring!
Thank you.

Grrr. I was just thinking I need to see pictures of your setup as I was reading the first paragraph. Then I saw your second paragraph. Really...? What are you waiting for. :)

I hope it inspires you.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I was thinking about the same thing actually, an acrylic tank above my tank set up like refugium, stocked with micro fauna, and cherry shrimp with a screen to keep then there from going to far, and lots of plants growing out if the top... But that has to wait until I get a house

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
i was gonna say that my bet was the lily should do very well, and viola! it is :)
I was curious to try it because quite a few time I read about people asking if anyone has ever tried cala lillies in such an environment. It's only rooting for now, but roots almost get longer by the hour lol.

·
Registered
872 Posts
haha great idea, very creative. Try to take some more pics from further away so we can get a good shot of the tank + the river above!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
haha great idea, very creative. Try to take some more pics from further away so we can get a good shot of the tank + the river above!
Thank you.
I tried to take a few last night, I gave up frustrated. Can't balance the lightning between the tank and the plants and the black river box. I will try again.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
When I do my shots... I do the box usually with the tank light off, the tank with the box light off... and if I try to do a whole tank shot, I do it with the room lights off, minimal ambient light, and I dim the tank way down...

It usually takes a couple shots before rhe auto foxus and contrast are right, but it works pretty decently

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
Quick update.
--One of the Cala Lilly is over 14 inches high!! That's is growing too fast to my liking. One leaf has holes in it. Definitely not mechanical not snail problem lol.
--Spider plant is not doing well at all. Not sure it likes being submerged that much.
--The Fittonia not doing so well either. Roots are dying. Leave were all hanging down. divided it as much as I could, cut off all the roots and put it back in. Leave raised up a bit.
--I am surprised about the American Violet. Did not loose a single flower. Some new growth appearing.
--Crotton doing fine. Looks like it's growing an offspring at the base.
--Rumex sanguineus showing some new growth at base.
--Equisetum scirpoides getting taller and has new off shoots at base.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Another update. Will post picture this w-end.
-Spider plant is dead, gone. Seem like it did not like feet wet.
-Growth of Cala Lilly slowed. There are actually 3 scenarios in the different tanks. In my 29 gal, the longest growth died suddenly. In the 15 gal, growth is accelerating. Seem like two flowers will open soon.
-Added a very small Arrowhead (Sagittaria latifolia) from the backyard pond. Three original leave died, but 2 small leave are now growing.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Some update on the Cala Lillies for both 75 and 15 gal tanks. I will post about other plants tomorrow...

A somewhat dark overview of the 75 gal tank

The 24 inches long Cala lilly. This has to stop.

This on has a more decent growth rate.

These 2 picture are from my 15 gal. I have to raise the light. It's kind of ridiculous now.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Black Calla Lily.

It seem like one of tha Calla Lily will be black flowers. This one grows much slower. I prefer that.
One section of the creek seem to have lots of aphids. That's what I seem to see under the leave of the Rumex. It's also covered with lots of small white things. No idea what it is, it's not moving.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Thats a really cool idea. Id love to do something like this if my cat wouldnt completely demolish any plants i have out in the open.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
African Violet new growth

HOORAY!!!!!

also this is a really awesome build. i love how well it seems to have come along! i'd love to see a few photos of your violet and here how its doing
There you go, this is about one week old but shows a young leaf. Did not loose a single flower.

Bump:
Thats a really cool idea. Id love to do something like this if my cat wouldnt completely demolish any plants i have out in the open.
Thank you Jasa73. Yes I could see that being a problem/challenge. My two dogs really don't care LOL. But if they could they would probably drink in it.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Time for an update.
--Equisetum scirpoides:degrading. not picture worth.
--Black Calla Lily opened. So nice. But stem too long, have hard time to stay up.

--Croton is starting to claim more real estate. It's slowly growing. There is a pothos that's sneaking behind. At first I thought it was the croton dividing... Sneaky.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I see you are using expanded clay like Aqua Aurora. And, how is the Maranthera doing? I love that plant!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I see you are using expanded clay like Aqua Aurora. And, how is the Maranthera doing? I love that plant!
I bought some of that clay to try it out. Not sure if it's the same stuff. Mine floats, that's kind of odd.

About the Maranthera, you tell me. Googling it doesn't give me any of the plant I currently have LOL. Or I am really bad at plant names but that would not surprise me.

Oh the the river now has it's own dedicated pump instead of the canister outflow. So now I can clean my canister as there is pretty much no flow whatsover,

21 - 40 of 58 Posts