The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
It grows plants just fine. i have one on my 10 gallon.. im growing weeds out of it.. slight c02 injection. like 10 ppm c02 and mineralized top soil plus a little water ferts.. they grow almost as fast as my high light tank

it grows plants fine. and because its dim i've never even seen the slightest bit of algae.. even on unhealthy old leaves GREAT EFFIN LIGHT

edit: its growing wisteria. ludwigia repens broadleaf, ludwigia glandulosa, bacopa carolina, rotala colortata, crypts, moss, and some sort of floater..

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see, like you mentioned, it is pretty dim, do you think the light will reach the bottom of the tank when the plants are dense? thanks

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
10000k is the kelvin rating. It is the color temp of the light we see. It has nothing to do with the PAR output, which connects to wattage/efficiency/etc.

10000k is just fine for freshwater, though alone it might wash out your plants. I prefer them to 6500k lights, though.

Cp? As in compact florescent?

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I am pretty confused though. How do I get a LED that is equivalent to 6500K?

thaks
LED's come in lots of color temps. Like I said, color temp is only what the EYES see, it has nothing to do with what is good for plants. 6500k is often told to be what plants NEED, and this is simply not true.

You'd get an LED that is described as 6500k. Part of why kelvin rating is so worthless is you can but 5 different bulbs rated for 6500k next to eachother and they will be completely different.

Anything from 4000k to 15000k will grow plants just fine. You just pick what color looks good to you.

What you need to be concerned with is the PAR output, and these single bring LED fixtures have basically none.

Head over to the lighting sub forum and read up the stickies at the top.

·
SCAPEr
2,560 Posts
10000k is the kelvin rating. It is the color temp of the light we see. It has nothing to do with the PAR output, which connects to wattage/efficiency/etc.

10000k is just fine for freshwater, though alone it might wash out your plants. I prefer them to 6500k lights, though.

Cp? As in compact florescent?
so can you explain by wash out your plants with 10000k bulb? i dont get it... too bright? but you said 4000k-15000k is fine..

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
so can you explain by wash out your plants with 10000k bulb? i dont get it... too bright? but you said 4000k-15000k is fine..
10000k bulbs will be bluish white and will lack yellowish and redish colors. This tends to make the plants look a little blah.

However, a 10000k bulb and a 6500k bulb side by side usually look perfect.

There is also a bulb that is "rated" at like 9235k and it is by far my favorite bulb all on its own.

A 10000k bulb is designed for reef/sw tanks where green isn't a normal color in play. It isn't that it won't grow plants just fine, it is that SOME of them can really wash things out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.