The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got one of these well used this weekend and have been going through cleaning it and checking out the parts..
I've been doing a "sink test" to make sure there are no seal leaks ect.
Also came w/ a manual so I wasn't working completely blind.

Problem is according to the manual I should be able to cycle the pump, and it will siphon /fill the canister.
doesn't seem to work this way though.
Pump works fine when running, and canister seems "sealed" i.e I can suck some air out and close the valves and it will maintain some "vacuum" which I can verify by opening a valve.
Checked all the valves and hoses for leaks.. nothing..
Any thing I may be missing?

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Hi jeffkrol,

I have about 3 of these in operation. The only way I have been able to cycle the pump and have the canister fill is:

1) fill the canister to the 'line' about 2.5" below the cover
2) make sure that the inlet and especially the outlet are under the surface of the tank water
3) power the motor on briefly to force water from the canister and clear the air in the line output tube
4) turn off the motor and the canister should fill through the output tube

They are good filters, move a lot of water, and fairly quiet but seem to need cleaning more often than my Marineland "C" series filters - parts are relatively easy to obtain.

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi jeffkrol,

I have about 3 of these in operation. The only way I have been able to cycle the pump and have the canister fill is:

1) fill the canister to the 'line' about 2.5" below the cover
2) make sure that the inlet and especially the outlet are under the surface of the tank water
3) power the motor on briefly to force water from the canister and clear the air in the line output tube
4) turn off the motor and the canister should fill through the output tube

They are good filters, move a lot of water, and fairly quiet but seem to need cleaning more often than my Marineland "C" series filters - parts are relatively easy to obtain.
Thanks for the input. As I have been testing it mostly "empty" of media except for some purigen to keep the basket down for assembly, it runs "not full" . since it is bottom pumped this is really no problem. Just a bit unnerving for an Eheim canister guy.. ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.