The Planted Tank Forum banner

Marineland Aquatic plant LED fixture

5539 Views 10 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  D_Harris
Okay it's been almost a month since I bought Marineland Aquatic plant LED fixture 24" - 36" for my 38 gallon and so far light doesn't cover enough space (which the 36" - 48" should do) and what it does cover has grown some algae the timer is very helpful and can be programmed.
I'm gonna return and search for a low-med lighting.
But I would recommend this for those with either high tanks or those who are experienced with lighting and Co2.
I'm still a novice with lighting as well as plants and so a high light fixture is not for me at the moment.
So can anyone recommend a cheaper LED fixture good enough for Med lighting?

Two of the plants I'm trying to grow are a HC carpet and downoi.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately, I can't answer your question but your experience helps me a bit because I was looking at the Marineland APLS for my 50 gal, 36"x18"x18". If the lights too narrow for your 38 gal, It'll be too narrow for my 50 gal 18" deep tank.

So, suggestions for a 36" medium light fixture would help me as well. So far, it seems all the LED fixtures I've found are either low light or high light.

Wondering if you could place electrical tape over some of the LEDs on a high light fixture to get down to medium light?
Yeah it seems the focus is always on high light or low light even the t5 flourescent bulbs are almost all high light.
electrical tape might work but I would check with someone who has more experience with LED fixtures.
I'm tempted to just DIY a LED fixture but I'm afraid to burn down the house.

· Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, you're going to need CO2 to utilize that kind of lighting intensity. Also you could keep that fixture but substantially reduce the lighting duration to minimize algae growth. The fastest and easiest way to deal with it isn't to get rid of the fixture but to change these two factors and increase the CO2 concentrations in the water column. And of course high a high plant biomass to outcompete algae for the available nutrients. It's a balancing act that demands one to have some experience but it's easier to have higher light and reduce it than to have low light and expect to grow demanding plants...
The fixture was too small for the tank anyway, there was too many dark areas. But thanks for the advice anyway:cool:
I'm looking medium light so it'll be easier to grow plants and won't have too much trouble with algae.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.