The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well, I'm no expert, but I have the Marineland 38 gallon kit and it came with two strips of lights that you clip on the front rim of the tank. They light the tank nicely, daylight and blue, but I don't think it's enough to grow plants. I bought a Finnex 24/7 light. Fortunately, my kit came with a glass lid, so the Finnex fits right on top.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Those starter kits are a trap. The hardware that comes with just isnt up to snuff and you'll just end up having to replace it piece by piece. The lights aren't any good for growing plants either.

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Goodbytes, I'm kinda seeing that now. I just found a 75 gallon on Craigslist for $40 so I'm going to grab that, a glass cover, and a Finnex 24/7 and go that route.

I'm also going to get a Marineland Penguin 300 and add my existing powerhead with its foam filter. I'll eventually get a canister filter (I think) but need to watch cost for now. From what I've seen the canisters all cost about $150 and the Marineland is far cheaper at about $40. I feel with that and the powerhead that should be adequate filtration.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.