The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anybody out there adding anything extra to their power filter? I feel like I could be using some ceramic rings or something extra in there that would be good for my fish and my tank

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Every HOB i own/owned i've just ripped the mesh off the carbon cartridge, washed out the carbon, slid it back in to be used as a retaining wall, and filled the HOB's with matrix, and ceramic rings topped off with pillow stuffing. On the penguins the intake is on the right side so what i tend to do is build the media up as high as i can, and put the pillow stuffing in the area where the outflow from the intake into the HOB is. Just replace the pillow stuffing once a month or sooner if it's getting gunky.

I've done it on penguins, marineland, aquaclear, tetra HOB's, all worked great.

·
Registered
492 Posts
You can put foam in there too. Anything that allows the water to flow and the bacteria to grow will improve your filtration. Best thing is you don't have to keep buying the mfg's filter pads, which are next best thing to useless anyway.
Carbon works really well at absorbing things because it has an immense surface area (you can't see most of it but the stuff is full of cracks) however the only problem is that it works for a short term only and we're talking minutes in some cases. Then it simply becomes a surface for the bacteria to grow on.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We'll I specifically was looking into for sure ceramic rings that I would just reuse after cleaning the filter and a way to add some activitied carbon. I mean obviously I could just dump the ceramic rings in behind the filter pad but carbon is so small idk how I could add more of that in

·
Registered
76 Posts
All depends on your goals. The ceramic rings will only trap the largest debris. A coarse sponge would be much more effective in the limited space you have. Lava rock or another kind of ceramic media for the next stage would give you even more biological filtration, and a filter floss last would polish the water nicely. I would ditch the carbon entirely unless you have some specific reason for it such as removing medication from the water. That would be a great HOB setup.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have four penguins running, and use nothing more than a plain blue sponge and ceramic rings. Rinse out the Rings every few months, rinse out the sponge once per month and replace every six months or so. If I had the money to do it all over again, all of my tanks would run canisters. Simply because of the noise and versatility.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I think I'm gonna stick with the original cartridges and behind it put a mix of lava rock and ceramic rings in it? Does that sound good? Maybe throw filter floss on top of all that?

·
Banned
86 Posts
Al The ceramic rings will only trap the largest debris. .

hmm. are not ceramic rings for bacteria growth?
and the cartridge media, for mechanical filtration? :thumbsup:

anyways, yup. i use rings in all my penguins (2-350's, 1-200 and
1-150).

i like the the cartridge these things use, sad part is the carbon don't last long. so i ended up cuting the top matrix from the frame and adding my own.

on top or that they don't sell any kind of polish cartridge.
so now i just make my own. i've not bought cartridges for over a year now.

i just peel off the old one, add my White Diamond Ammonia blend/carbon and hot glue a new pad on.

the cost of a 30"x36" 100 micron pad (6.50) go's a long way

right down to my little 5 gal hex tank;)

·
Registered
301 Posts
When I was using a couple emperor 400's, I got the cermedia marine pure inserts for it - they make a sheet of that biomedia that fits exactly in the cartridge slot. I put that on the inside slot with a foam cartridge on the outside slot to act as a "pre-filter" for it.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I don't mind buying the cartridges so like I said previously I think I'm going to keep using the cartridges and add some ceramic rings and lava rock mixed in behind the pad. Does this sound good? And is this lava rock the same rock you use for landscaping?

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have four penguins running, and use nothing more than a plain blue sponge and ceramic rings. Rinse out the Rings every few months, rinse out the sponge once per month and replace every six months or so. If I had the money to do it all over again, all of my tanks would run canisters. Simply because of the noise and versatility.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
I have a canister and 1 hob on each tank the hob allows me to easily change my media (ammonia remover/purigan/carbon) with the canister I half to turn off and open the unit that always involves some small water clean up.
A small amount of water sound is fine but all hob would be very annoying to me

·
Registered
301 Posts
http://www.cermedia.com/marinepure-products.php

just add the rite-size one right behind the floss cartridge and you'll be more than good to go, plus not have to junk up the box with a bunch of extra stuff. It's only $15 per cartridge - you can even check with southern oaks aquatics, a TPT supporter, to see if they carry the rite-size pieces - that's where I got my marine pure balls from for the canisters.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm using these empty shells in mine:

http://www.thatpetplace.com/refillable-media-cartridge-penquin-200b-350b-filters

The front 2 shells have filtration pads. One of the rear ones has polyester filter fiber. The other rear ones has ceramic rings along with purigen in pantyhose. The shells make it a little tidier. And the whole system becomes canister-like in that you're able to customize it to your needs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.