The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I work at a pet store and the other day I noticed this fish in the saltwater system, and I don't have a clue what it is or where it came from. Sad thing is, I'm the one who does the fish orders, and I don't remember ordering anything like this :icon_wink. Anyone know what this guy is?

I apologize for the picture quality. I only got these two pics before he went into hiding again.

He reminds me of a juvy Dragon Wrasse (without the antennae), but he perches like a blenny. I've never seen him out swimming around, he jumps hops from rock to rock.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
He does look like a wrasse but when you say he hops from rock to rock it sounds like a rockskipper but his face doesn't look like it....

I checked my encyclopedia but I don't see one that matches the picture then again picture is not great for ID

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nah, he's not a Mandarin. He's laterally compressed, not vertically like some gobies and dragonets. It's hard to tell from the picture, but he's got a big dorsal fin (like a dragonet), and the fins behind the dorsal go all the way to the tail. The anal fin does the same thing. And he eats brine shrimp and mysis.

It's really driving me crazy ;)

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's the thing, we haven't had a shipment of live rock for probably 3 months, and I just noticed him less than a week ago.

C'mon, I know there's some reef guys on this forum!

·
Registered
567 Posts
That's the thing, we haven't had a shipment of live rock for probably 3 months, and I just noticed him less than a week ago.

C'mon, I know there's some reef guys on this forum!
He looks like some sort of blenny to me, but I don't know what kind. I've never seen one like that. I'd agree he may be a hitch-hiker...they can be good at hiding. The LFS I used to work at had a Moray eel in a bit 250 gallon display, and I only saw him about twice a month. If he was in with a ton of live rock, he's probably just been hanging out in some dark corner. If he got ordered with other livestock, someone in the store ought to remember ordering him!

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
It might be some kind of juvenile wrasse. There are a number of wrasses that have really cool and attractive juvenile forms, but grow up into difficult to keep tankbusters.

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It may be a wrasse. He reminds me more of a hawkfish with the way he perches, and I've never seen him swimming in open water. He just hops from rock to rock like a blenny does.

To me, it looks like a blenny with the head of a hawkfish and the dorsal fin of a dragonet.

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Laura - LOL, that would be awesome but the Michiana area is not a great aquarium community. We sometimes have problems selling a $40 angelfish, much less something in the 4-digit range ;)

Burks - A guess is better than nothing! Your guess is as good as mine at this point. I've been through 3 marine fish books and about 4 websites and still nothing matches.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
I see in that last picture that he has two eyespots too. There is that goby that mimics a menacing crab and looks sort of similar, but I think it's eyespots are up near the front of the dorsal fin.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I agree with the others that it just might be a juvenile wrasse of some kind. Otherwise, my gut is telling me that it is some kind of goby I'm not familiar with.

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That was my first guess, but you can see that my fish doesn't have any "antennae" like the juvy dragon wrasses do. Plus he never swims actively, he only hops from rock to rock. And he never buries himself in the sand, which I know dragons do a lot

1 - 20 of 26 Posts