The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a marina breeder box with the small pump that you can get with it. Does anybody know how I could reduce the flow on it, I hvae it turned all the way down and the water level still comes up to the top and over flows on the the back of it. I have placed filter material in the intake on it but that did not really help.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Can you post a link to where you bought it. To my knowledge the Marina boxes are air-driven. Using any pump would result in what you describe with these boxes. The spillway at the opposite end is too small to enable it to handle very much flow through the box. even if you don't use the small gates.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I purchased it on ebay, I don't have any info on it.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
That may be the problem. I just can't see those boxes being driven by any sort of powerhead that doesn't come with its' own means of controlling the pump's output. They were designed to be air-driven. If the outflow gates clog even minimally, driving too much air into it will force water over the center spillway. I'm getting the impression you bought one that someone somehow modified to work with a powerhead?

·
Registered
824 Posts
I've modified my marina box to run with a small internal filter instead of air driven. Even with the gates installed I have never had a problem with the box overflowing.

Are you sure you have the feet on the box installed correctly so that the box leans into your tank? If it's overflowing on the back of the box it sounds like you need to re-adjust those feet on the bottom.

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
Can you post an image of how the setup looks like. This is very interesting to me. I have a similar setup for my own breeder box that's water pump driven with a Rio 90 water pump. I'm forcing my water pump to push water through the air tubing by stuffing the actual outflow outlet and it's really solve the overwhelming inflow to my breeder box. I wish I have a picture of mines to show.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Finnex External HOB Refugium / Breeder Box + Water Pump This is the pump that I purchased for the breeder box, as I do not like the gurgle that you get when using the air pump, it is rated at 152 L/H purchased through ebay by Aqua Vibrant. Here are some pics.
This is the pump.
View attachment 296017
I ran an airline from the pump to the spray bar that I stuffed some filter material in, it seems to have slowed down the flow, hopefully it will not burn the pump out.
View attachment 296025
View attachment 296033

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does anybody know where I could get spare parts for the breeder box.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It seems that the breeder box I have is different then the one they sell now. I really like the inflow tube on the new ones as it is curved which would allow me to close my tank lid. So I am looking for the curved inflow tube.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
The picture makes your issue much clearer.

Valves that fit that size tubing are going to be difficult to find.

Savko Plastics may have something.

Another possibility would be to use the Watts push together valves and fittings the box stores sell for refrigerator water lines. They come in 1/4" increments and pretty easy to just push together:

http://www.watts.com/pages/_products_details.asp?pid=6654

But the tubing for those fittings is very rigid, so there would be lots of trial and error involved as well as lots of creative thinking. Remember if the fit is very close, plastic / vinyl tubing can be heated in a bath of hot water and stretched just a bit.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Just thought of something!

Rio powerheads used to come supplied with a mind-numbing number of additional parts. I have a small box full of those parts that I end up rummaging through every so often. One of those parts is actually a small plastic ball valve to control output on some of their powerheads. I had horrible luck with TAAM products years ago and this box of parts ended up being the most useful TAAM item I ever bought. I have no idea if the still supply all those extra parts these days, but if you can find someone local who has them they may have a spare ball valve laying around. If you want to PM me your address and a VERY precise diameter, I can look through what I have tonight.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
You are talking about choking down the output of a mag drive pump? If so, there is no harm in creating heat for a mag drive as long as there is water around the impeller.
But for choking flow, I might just go with the method you've tried. Adding more or more compacted media will work to slow the flow. Perhaps some small sponge pieces?

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
This is how I rigged my breeder box.

I put a cork on the main outflow to force the water to flow out the top. The flow is reduced this way

This is the flow inside the breeder box. The flow is pretty good using this method.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts