The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have learned so much on this forum. Ive had fish for about 20 years. Ive had fish only,planted low tech, salt water, coral reef but soon got tired of haulling water on a weekly basis and trying to control the water temp when here in socal it can reach over 100F in the summer months. then one day at a LFS I saw Amano's Nature Aquarium World and was amazed :eek: with the book. I bought it and read it that night and I was on the internet searching his name. That search led me to this forum,and I was hooked. My first planted tank was and still is a 120 gal discus planted tank. Now i think I can handel the difficult Iwagumi style tank, with all of you on this forum of course. I will need as much input as possible so you guys (gals) will decide along ith me on this journal. If the end result is what I expect then the 120gal will taken down and replaced with an ADA 120 or 90.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
here is some hard scape options. the first rock is really nice! but light in color but was considering staining it. (yes staining it with blackwater extract used for discus tanks the second scape is too small in scale I think? one more scape comming with bonsai rock. Currently there is no light for the tank. Im using 2x18W 7100k. I have a 96w PC but will be selling it still new but im thinking of getting T5 HO. to keep things cool and energy efficient.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Filter is rated for up to 30gal. This is 18gal, bioload will be low. I plan to only have about 8 galaxy rasbora or gold tetra or harlequin rasbora.
I know it says its rated to 30gals, but that is grossly over rated. Trust me I had a xp1 on this tank and could have even used more filtration. That zoomed will not be enough. I wouldn't even use that filter on a 10 gallon tank.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I agree with the others.....that cement block thing doesn't look good in the tank, the last one is the only one of the three that looks good.

Also agree that the 501 will be a poor choice for that tank.....algae grows with poor circulation.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As I stated earlier your input will be of great help. Ian may be right. I just happen to have an xp2 laying around so that will be the filtration now Ill have to DIY some clear pipes for it. and move the stand forward to accomidate the tubing. One more scape comming up I think everyone will like with bonsai rock. The scale is small I think for the tank it only reaches about 7 inches tall and the tank is 14" so im going to a bonsai shop for bigger rocks right now. My camera battery is still charging so no pics. Ill try to get some pics up later this evening.

·
Registered
159 Posts
i want to know how you got the background like that? is that just your wall, or did you put something behind the tank? how did you get the light effect?

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lucky the background is an ADA Aquascreen (green). Its just green transparent screen aplied with soapy water. No special lighting effects just 36w power compact. Later Ill post some pics of my trip to the bonsai shop and the third and best scape.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.