The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, first post! I would love to start a list of all the plants we can grow on the margins of our tanks (ie. fully submerged roots and lower stem, with foliage above water line). I am talking about things like anubias, horsetail, papyrus, corkscrew rush, etc. Please let me know anything that has worked for you long term. Thanks!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I've been planning to do something like this myself. I was thinking of doing a small paludarium planted with partially and fully emersed aquatic plants with a small waterfall-like feature. I was planning doing anubias, bucephalandra, java fern, mosses (not sure on species yet), and cryptocoryne species.

There are some photos of crypts, buce, and java fern growing emersed in the wild here and here.

Depending on where you live you will want a tight fitting lid to keep the humidity high.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
Many plants have a pretty annoying transition from submerged to emersed growth. Plants will lose leaves and possibly completely wither away if they do not make the transition. Basically they might need daily misting to get them through this period and possibly more. I frankly don't bother and just wait and see if they make it. Plants I have been succesful with include

Brazilian pennywort
Bacopa
Ludwigia

However, I much prefer to use terrestrial species that can be grown essentially hydroponically in our tanks. These plants will not go through a transition and will work the first time, every time. Plants I have personal experience with include:

Rabbits Foot Fern (grown on wood with the roots in the water)
Peace Lily
Random terrestrial moss

I know pathos can also be grown this way but I don't much like that plant so I've never grown it myself.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
it's a really old thread, but theres one for emmersed plants in my signature (edit... or not, I have no idea where it would've gone to)

now i've got to rediscover how to edit my signature...

·
Registered
171 Posts
I am planning to add a dwarf Egyptian Papyrus plant in the back corner of my tank with the hopes that it does not take over the whole airspace above the tank! fingers crossed it works out! Pothos and peace lily are popular for having roots in the tank and green growth above the tank. Looking forward to what you decide to do!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.