The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone!

I had some free time and decided to start my own journal.

The tank size is 55 gallons
100% Flourite
Filter XP3
Light 2x96watts

This is what my tanked looked like when i first started messing with layouts.

This is how it ended up.

At the time my co2 was not concistant. Algae took over so bad my plants never recovered :mad:

My try with glosso

My Cleaning KREW!

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is what is happening to the tank currently.
I got a really good deal on some Ludwigia...well as you can see :tongue:
Week One

Week Two

Week Three

Plants on the left seem to be taking off well.
Right side seems a bit slower.

I moved some of the plants out of the middle and to the left. Trying to get some kind of scape going. Still now happy with the layout tho =/

Let me know what you guys think.
I really like the first lay out i tried before the algae out break.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
That's some great looking ludwigia!! And the set up sounds like it has ample lighting. There ought to be no algae problem with all those stem plants. :)

Cannot imagine really having a lay out with 1 tall stem plant, and no hard scape. It just doesn't work.

If you are planning to make this a "display" tank, then I hope you have some plans for a lot of that ludwigia. Some how trading/selling a lot of it, especially once the algae is blasted away. A planted display probably won't emerge from so much usage of a single red stem plant. Red plants are usually "high lights," not the "body." A lay out's foundation comes from the hard scape, substrate positioning, and from the positioning and dense growth of the smaller plants. Especially the plants in the mid ground and those tied to the hardscape. These generally create the "structure" of the aquascape. Otherwise, we just have a row of flowers. :icon_conf

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Add another cory keeper with several fish-years' experience on gravel, and no whisker loss.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Maybe add the driftwood back to the left side of the tank. I like some hardscape in a tank, but that's me.

I like the picture will all the bubble coming up. :)

·
Registered
308 Posts
Barbel loss, according to my reading and experience, is caused by poor water / disease, not substrate abrasion. The red plants are lovely in this tank and I say let the hairgrass grow and see how tall it gets.

·
Registered
157 Posts
eds said:
Add another cory keeper with several fish-years' experience on gravel, and no whisker loss.
Me too!! Gravel is no problem at all ...

Great looking tank youve got there. It looks great with the dark reds from the ludwigia and the bright green from the hairgrass. But i suggest you start pulling some of that ludwigia and replace sections with new plants. Great looking tank anyways and ill keep my eye out for this thread as it progresses. Should become a great looking tank in time :proud: .

Andrew

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
PJAN said:
Very good growth, Marc.
And not even boring with almost 1 plant species.

Planning any other plants yet?

Gr. PJAN
Thanks everyone for the positive comments! It really means alot. Its been a rough ride with algae and i was almost ready to call it quits.

Gr.PJAN- I'd very much like to try new plants, but the way this tank is set up, its exactly how i want it. Everything grows, my fish are healthy, algae is almost none.
IF i do plan on adding new plants, what do you think would work well? I would like to keep the ludwigia as my main plant for the time being.
I think the left side would be first to get new plants....

·
Registered
244 Posts
That ludwiga looks great! What fish do you plan to keep in there?

I keep my cories on smooth gravel. Fluorite looks like it has rough edges, but your cories don't seem to mind.

Keep us updated on the tank's progress!

·
Registered
274 Posts
hey

i like the look of simple tanks, im gonna start a 30 gal with only rotala indica and glosso...and go for a simple look

i think ur tank looks great! and if u want to add more plants wihtout taking away from the ludwiga look, you can just take the front portion out and keep the 2 lumps of ludwiga in the back half of the tank!

but i think it looks great the way it is, especially if u have a nice good foreground of hairgrass.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Nice growth. You have convinced me that i don't have enough light. Although things are growing. My ludwigia has never looked that lush. What do you have between the two stands? If allowed to grow out some more this would add a nice shape contrast...

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
kzr750r1 said:
Nice growth. You have convinced me that i don't have enough light. Although things are growing. My ludwigia has never looked that lush. What do you have between the two stands? If allowed to grow out some more this would add a nice shape contrast...
Between the 2 bushes, i have some Limnophila aromatica, 2 stems. and of course the hair grass.

The hair grass is starting to send out new shoots. its growing in quickly.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Marc said:
Between the 2 bushes, i have some Limnophila aromatica, 2 stems. and of course the hair grass.

The hair grass is starting to send out new shoots. its growing in quickly.
It's the Limnophila aromatica I was looking at. If you can keep building up your clippings in that location it'll look cool with the hair grass path. I'm still shaking my head why didn't i pick up the 4x54w T5 fixture. After looking at your phenominal tight leaf internodes I may be able to sell the idea to boss and use my current fixture for a couple of smaller tanks. :cool:

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
kzr750r1 said:
It's the Limnophila aromatica I was looking at. If you can keep building up your clippings in that location it'll look cool with the hair grass path. I'm still shaking my head why didn't i pick up the 4x54w T5 fixture. After looking at your phenominal tight leaf internodes I may be able to sell the idea to boss and use my current fixture for a couple of smaller tanks. :cool:
If i were to choose my light setup over again, i would go for 4x55watts to cover the whole length of my tank. Running 2x96 only gives me the length of about 36 inches but my tank is 48. Im glad that the AH supply kits came with good reflectors because the ends of my tank are getting decent light.

The l armomatica was given to me when i bought the hair grass. It seems to be growing okay and the leaves are staying nice and red. I hope it keeps on growing. Do you have any experience with the plant?

1 - 20 of 120 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.