The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i've been thinking about getting 6 or so marbled hatchetfish, but i'm a little confused on what their true colors are. These two are both listed as marbled hatchets, but one is brown and one is grey/black? :confused:

Thinking about ordering them from liveaquaria, by the way.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I was going to say lighting as a factor for sure in those two pics.

·
Registered
708 Posts
They have different color varients, but most I have seen are closer to the bottome pic. I would contact Milac at Invertzfactory, they have them on the stocklist right now for a good price. I haven't seen thiers yet, but plan on getting some before long. A top on the tank is a must.

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Personally i like the top picture better, but the brown look is cool too.

And yeah i used to have some silver hatchets, and one went missing. About half a year later, i found a little fish skeleton behind my aquarium. It was like superglued to the rug. Lesson learned, lol.

I'll check in with milac, his are probably better quality.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I ordered nine marthae hatchets from liveaquaria a few weeks ago, got them priority expressed, drip acclimated in a dark room...the whole nine yards. 24 hrs. later when things were brighter, I noticed one already had a full blown case of ich. 8 of the 9 died from disease. The ninth recently died when he found a small gap in the hood for the filter tubes, so a tight fitting lid cannot be taken too literally.

BTW, I'm not trying to bash liveaquaria (they refunded the fish no questions asked), but I would feel better in the future knowing that such sensitive fish have gone through invertz factory's two week quarantine.

·
Registered
322 Posts
No gaps is key. I had a few silver hatchets in a 75 gallon. I always take out the plastic hinges on glass tops to allow more light to get in. So there is about a 1 inch space between them.....they jumped through. Remarkably I saved 3 of them on seperate occasions. I don't know how I woke up to save them. But eventually they jumped when I was at work. I guess they have good aim.

Also the color differents could have something to do with age/size of the hatchet.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I would just like to add how sensitive those fish are. Disease prone isn't quite the right description. Mine made it for some time after having several outbreaks of ich, until the day they all just collectively had drank the cool-aid and decided to find the smallest opening in the tank cover and had enjoyed a little too much of the carpet. I would advise other fish unless you can guarantee pristine water conditions and a complete cover on the tank, 100% not less.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts